Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do add a fly screen to an old casement window?

themanfromuncle
Just Starting Out

How do add a fly screen to an old casement window?

Hi,

Our house is an art deco 1930s semi with period windows. One of the windows in the bedroom is a casement window with a wood frame. I would like to add a fly screen.

At this stage I'm considering removing the historical latch, install a winder, and add fly screen on top and attach the fly screen using spring loaded plunger clips (https://www.bunnings.com.au/rolltrak-alloy-flyscreen-spring-loaded-plunger-clip-4-pack_p3960220). Practical but loses a bit of the historical appeal.

How else would you attach the fly screen to the window?

ThanksIMG_9380.jpgIMG_9381.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How do add a fly screen to an old casement window?

Hi @themanfromuncle,

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you join us.

The ever-helpful @MitchellMc assisted another member with a similar problem to this just last week. I will ask him to help you with ideas when he is back on the site on Friday. Thanks for your patience in the meantime. I will also ask the clever @Tara86 if she has any thoughts. Tara is the author of our guide How to replace a flyscreen

We're pleased to have you join us and look forward to seeing how you tackle this problem and reading about all your other projects and plans for around the house and garden. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. We're confident you will get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our amazing community members who are constantly sharing helpful advice and clever and creative projects.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do add a fly screen to an old casement window?

Hi @themanfromuncle,

Do you open the window regularly, or is it just once in a while? If you don't need to access it often, then I would suggest going with your spring toggle option and removing the screen when needed. Alternatively, one of our suppliers Rolltrak does an access port which you can install into a fly screen. This should allow you to operate the current mechanism and also a winder without removing the whole screen. If you see our team at your local store's special orders desk, they will be happy to assist.

Please let me know if you need further help or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects