Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do you stop burglars?

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

How do you stop burglars?

There's an article doing the rounds that suggests the things that robbers look for when looking at houses to rob. It has things like rundown front doors with single locks, overflowing mailboxes, dark and overgrown areas and visible interiors. All pretty obvious things that would make a house enticing for a robber. 

I'm more interested to hear of things you can do to actively help stop burglars. I'm not sure investing in an alarm system is worth the expense and hassle, but I'm open to feedback from others. What other things do you do or have you installed as a deterrent to burglars?

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: How do you stop burglars?

scary-dog1.jpg

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Burglars are generally opportunists so the simple things like taking your mail and bins in, having a car in the drive, etc (including (especially) when on holiday) are actually really important things to do.

Security alarm systems have proven to be an effective deterrent, in fact I remember reading that somewhere in the vicinty of 70-80% of burglarly claims (for insurance) come from houses without an alarm system and those with monitored alarms accounted for less than 5%. My system with sufficient sensors, cameras, control and monitoring from my mobile, and central control room monitoring all make my house safer.

Dogs can definitely be a strong deterrent.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

How reliable is your system @ProjectPete? I hate the idea of an overly sensitive alarm going off when we're not around because the wind blew or a cat walked past or something and annoying the neighbours. And I don't think I could stomach the ongoing cost of a monitored system. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects