Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add exterior window trim?

JJ18
Finding My Feet

How to add exterior window trim?

Hi All

I am looking for some ideas to add a trim to a small exterior window that pretty well sits flush with what will be a rendered wall (currently besser block). 

The window sits directly under the fascia which juts out around 10mm (once the render is complete).  I want to cover the gaps around the window and finish it off so it looks a lot nicer and ideally have the window frame flush with the fascia.  

I am a newbie to all of this, it isn't a complex reno just a small makeover.. I am looking forward to reading some of your suggestions.  

Thanks

JJ18 :smile:Window.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to add exterior window trim?

Hello @JJ18

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about how to add an exterior window trim.

I suggest using aluminium angle for its durability and ease of use. It can be sanded down and painted in the same colour as your gutter to highlight it. It can be screwed and glued on even after you render. However, you are limited to its profile which is usually very flat. You could use Roberts 1.0m Natural Sawtooth Stairnose Trim to give a bit of a profile.

I recommend timber moulding as an option to give your window a nice stylish look. A nice timber frame will provide a contrast to the flatness of the existing window frame. It sounds like a great rendering project, any updates you can provide would be much appreciated.

Let me tag our experienced members @JoeAzza and @TedBear for their recommendations. 

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JJ18
Finding My Feet

Re: How to add exterior window trim?

Hi @EricL 

Thank you!  I do like the idea of a timber frame as a contrast to the flatness. I am toying with the idea of a planter box under the window to give some colour to the wall.  Will see how it looks after the wall is painted (white) and the window is framed.

The render job was completed yesterday and has made a huge difference to the patchy, uneven and old besser block wall.  

JJ :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects