Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach new flyscreen frame to aluminium window?

tmoyn
Growing in Experience

How to attach new flyscreen frame to aluminium window?

Hi,

I have been wanting to replace my fly screens for a while now and have finally managed to make my new screens including new frames and screen.  I would like to now attach the new frames to my aluminum windows but don't know the best way to do it.

Here is what my windows look like without the screens up:

PXL_20201215_095030464.jpg  PXL_20201215_095042583.jpg  PXL_20201215_095054038.jpg  PXL_20201215_095210170.jpg

As you can see the windows are double-hung windows so I think I am best to fit the whole window (top and bottom).

This is what the screens look like on another window (which I also want to replace):

PXL_20201215_095123869.jpg  PXL_20201215_095135767.jpg  PXL_20201215_095154062.jpg

These frames are held on with one or two swivel clips.

Is there a better way to attach my new frames to my windows without having to drill holes into the aluminium window frames?  Any advice of this project would be much appreciated.

I don't need help in making the screens, just attaching the new frames to the windows.

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to attach new flyscreen frame to aluminium window?

Hi @tmoyn,

I'm only aware of a couple of ways flyscreen frames get attached to windows. The first is with the swivels like your other windows and the second is fitting into a pre-fabricated recess on the window frame. I would suggest that if the other windows use the swivels, then that would be the correct method for fixing your flyscreens. Is there any reason why you did not wish to drill into the frames?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to attach new flyscreen frame to aluminium window?

Hi @tmoyn,

Did you manage to fit those fly screens?  I trust our members would appreciate knowing how you went about it. I'm sure many will come across a similar issue when installing fly screens without existing mounting points.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects