Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a cat door in 12cm wall?

Toby1
Growing in Experience

How to build a cat door in 12cm wall?

Hey folks

I want to put a door for our cat in the back wall of our house. It's plasterboard on the inside, overlapping wood planks on the outside, with about 120mm between inside and outside. Can anyone recommend a pet door and a method of doing this? Most of the commercially available ones seem to be for much thinner walls/doors, with the inside and outside parts meant to attach to each other in some way.

1.jpg

Many thanks

Toby.

Toby1
Growing in Experience

Re: Cat door in 12cm wall

Hi Mitchell - Picked the order up today, and unfortunately didn't check the package until I got home - it contains only the tunnel partitions, and not the extra long screws, which frankly is the most important part 😑. I guess this explains why it was slightly cheaper than the full kit.

Toby1
Growing in Experience

Does Bunnings stock a similar screw that I could just buy separately? I think it would be a "M6 x 120mm (or 140mm) zinc plated aluminium metal screw", or something like that.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Toby1,

I'm so sorry about that. However, the kit should have come with the screws as pictured in the product images and per the description. The product code I provided to you was from the supplier and was the kit, not just the partitions.

Understandably, you'd likely want to get this sorted now instead of waiting for the screws to be sent out again. Do you think Pinnacle M6 x 120mm Stainless Steel Hex Head Bolts And Nuts would work?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Toby1
Growing in Experience

These are for you, @MitchellMc 😁. A bit rough, but functional (if the cat would just learn to use it!).

PXL_20221218_075247304.jpgPXL_20221218_075234598.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Toby1

Thank you very much for posting those updates on your cat door. That assembly came out great, I'm sure at some point the cat will realize that they can use it to go in and out. I suggest tempting them with their favourite snack and seeing if they'll push through the flap to get to the other side. 

Again, thank you very much for sharing your cat door project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects