Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build for my film set

Izzi
Just Starting Out

How to build for my film set

I'm a student filmmaker in the process of creating a short film to be made in a studio with a set on campus within the next month.
At the moment, the set build is a square room (roughly 3x3m), and I'm looking to divide it entirely with a large wall of what would appear to be slightly opaque glass, that goes wall to wall, from floor to ceiling.
This is where I turn to you - I'm not entirely sure of the logistics, costs, timing and practicalities of rigging up an exceedingly large wall, how I'd get it to stay in place, or what the best possible material might be to create the look. 
I'm assuming glass might be too difficult, so perhaps Perspex/Acrylic is the answer? Again, it's gotta be a wall 3m wide and 3m high. Tough, I know. 
Cheers :smile:
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build for my film set

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Izzi. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a film set.

You might like to see if either the Paint Partner 2.6 x 3.6m Clear Plastic Drop SheetMonarch 3.7 x 3.7m Pro Renovator Plastic Drop Sheet or Grunt 2 x 5m Clear 100um Handy Roll Builder's Film meet your opaqueness requirements. If these sheets were pulled taught over a timber frame, they'd do a reasonable job of appearing like glass. Being able to remove any wrinkles will be key to a convincing result. We also have the Crystal Clear 0.1 x 1370mm Wide Vinyl Tablecloth, which would be quite convincing but will require you to join it across the 3m span. Perhaps a divided frame could be built. You could even add some painted effects to the frame that are in tune with your overall set design. Dy-Mark 325g Frosted Glass Decorative Spray could be used to give the clear sheets the level of opaqueness you're looking for.

The frame should be fairly lightweight if you constructed it from Woodhouse EdgeLine 42 x 18mm 5.4m DAR Primed Finger Jointed Pine Moulding. You could build the three separate smaller frames and join them together in that room for filming.

Our acrylic sheets are only in smaller sizes, and you'd need quite a few to fill that area.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects