Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build shelf across corner?

notshyofeffort
Cultivating a Following

How to build shelf across corner?

Hi all

I need help on making a corner shelf which room in the back to run wires. I want to put a shelf which I place amplifier and sub woofer on the floor just beneath that. 

Amplifier size in 45*30 cm ,  looking at the corner area it would have to be timber or board running diagonally and leaving room behind to run wires ( 100 *50 cm) . Currently this in on a TV trolley which is just waste of space. Shelf just below TV will look great and functionally better.

Would appreciateDSC_0011.JPGDSC_0010.JPG ideas.

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Corner across shelf

Hello @notshyofeffort

I've made a basic plan for a triangular table. The measurements I've placed are for reference only and you change them to suit your needs. I used 70 x 30mm 2.4m Standard And Better Pine DAR for the supports and feet. I suggest using CustomWood MDF 2400 x 1200 x 18mm Standard MDF Panel. If you wish to use a different kind of timber just make sure that it will fit into the measurements I've suggested.

The table in its current form will fit the amplifier. I don't recommend making it any lower or there will not be enough ventilation for the amplifier. I recommend painting the table to protect it from water damage. 

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular indoor furniture projects

Let me tag our experienced members @robchin and @Nham for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
notshyofeffort
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to build shelf across corner?

thanks @EricL this is helpful but I am thinking of attaching shelf to the wall with brackets. I just need one shelf  and use floor space for sub woofer.

Hi @notshyofeffort

I've modified the drawing as a shelf. I still recommend the same materials for your build. I've placed the plans below, have a look and tell me what you think.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

notshyofeffort
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Eric much appreciated how to I attach this to wall - brackets.

aah I get it no brackets are required on this design . Cool

Hello @notshyofeffort

That's correct you don't need brackets for this shelf. All you need to do is to find the timber stud in the wall using a stud finder. You then screw the timber supports into it and you then place the triangular piece on top of the timber supports. I've cut a 90mm x90mm opening in the side at the back for the cables to go through. I suggest drilling pilot holes for the screws to avoid snapping the heads off.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

notshyofeffort
Cultivating a Following

Hi @EricL 

I finally finished this. Decided to use something different as we wanted to make as minimal as we could. Attached is the final product. Just waiting for electrician now. DSC_0099.JPG

Cheers

Hello @notshyofeffort

Thank you so much for the update. It's great to see that you've found a solution to your shelving. It looks very nice and compact. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please don't hesitate to post them.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects