Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to change colour of old aluminium windows?

julie60
Finding My Feet

How to change colour of old aluminium windows?

updating old aluminium windows.want to change colour or do i need to replace the windows completely

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: updating old aluminium windows.want to change colour or do i need to replace the windows comp...

Hello @julie60

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your desire to paint your aluminum windows.

Painting aluminum window frames can be done and is a cheaper alternative to removing the entire set. The key to a successful paint job is preparation. Give the window frame a thorough clean with a brush and vacuum cleaner, making sure to remove all forms of dust and debris both inside and out. If there are weather seals attached to the window frame these must be removed as well. 

Masking off the area around the window with painter's tape and a plastic drop sheet will prevent over spray from marking your wall. Putting a canvas drop sheet will protect your floor while spraying. With proper preparation, you should be able to achieve excellent results.

Here are  some handy step-by-step guides:

We look forward to seeing your newly painted window frames. If you need more information please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: updating old aluminium windows.want to change colour or do i need to replace the windows comp...

Thankyou Eric for all that information 🙂

Sooze
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to change colour of old aluminium windows?

Hello

We are renovating our home and I have have spray painted our aluminum windows from blue/black to white.

Eric has provided you with all the info.

When I sprayed my very first window I was nervous but after a while you will get the hang of it. 

I'm doing the laundry windows tomorrow.

All the best.

20210522_155322.jpg

20210512_150354.jpg

20210428_162436.jpg

20210430_083038.jpg

20210513_072440.jpg

Thankyou ! They look fantastic. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Sooze

Thank you so much for showing us this update of your newly painted aluminum windows. It's amazing to see the number of remodeling projects you've been doing around the house. I'm sure this will give @julie60 the added confidence to paint their own window frames.

We look forward to seeing more.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects