Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean uncleanable glass?

Prof
Becoming a Leader

How to clean uncleanable glass?

This question is the most ridiculous question I've ever asked !!

How do you clean uncleanable glass?!!

Let me explain..I have a glass sliding entrance door on my back wall..It's one of those old heavy framed doors that were used in the 80's and 90's..

When I clean the glass with normal Windex and paper towelling, it looks clean, until the sun hits the door and then it shows as being all smeary !!

I then wipe it again with paper towel and it looks all clean again, until the sun next hit the door !!! 

I've tried three other commercial brand cleaners plus my own mix of window cleaner..All to no avail..

I've also used several other cloths to wipe the glass and it still won't stay clean..

I cleaned it the other day while the  sun was on the door..and it was the weirdest thing..

As I was looking at the glass..a film / fog light affect just slowly crept over the glass where I had just cleaned it until the whole glass was covered !!!

Does anyone have the slightest idea of what's causing this weird effect..and how do I get rid of it?

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Uncleanable Glass!!

Never a silly question on Workshop @Prof.

You may find this discussion helpful (although it looks like you've already contributed to it) and these tips from the Bunnings team: How To Clean Windows.

Our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will also be happy to help when he's back on the site on Friday.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to clean uncleanable glass?

Hello @Prof 

My sincerest apologies for such a late reply. As you have tried cleaning it with many types of chemicals, perhaps it's time to use a more traditional approach. I suggest using Glitz Green 2L Cleaning Vinegar. Place the vinegar in a spray bottle and give the glass front a thorough spray. Let the vinegar sit on the glass for at least 10 minutes but do not let it dry off. After the 10m minutes have passed wash the glass with soap and water. Please do not use soap with any moisturizers and additives that may remain after washing. Please do not use paper towels as these have light oil in their fibers. I suggest using an old newspaper to dry the glass to make sure that it is not contaminated with any form of grease. 

Sometimes grease and pollution may have embedded themselves on the edge of the frame of the glass and contaminates your cleaning fluids. make sure to clean those areas with a stiff brush using soap and water. It may also be that there is an area in your neighborhood that is releasing a large amount of cooked grease and is attaching itself to your glass door.

I've experienced this process happening at the store and ours was caused by using cleaning wipes. The wipes actually left a chemical residue that caused it to go foggy even while we were cleaning the glass. We had no choice but to use old newspapers to wipe the glass clean of the chemical residue. 

Again, my sincerest apologies for the late reply. Please keep us updated.

Eric

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your reply...

I've never heard of the Glitz green vinegar before!..I will certainly give that a try..and follow your advice..

My latest test to clean the glass gave me the best results so far..Still not perfect but the best yet..

I firstly sprayed the glass with a high pressure sprayer using just water..

Then I used the sprayer with my detergent cleaning formula!..

I left the suds on for 10 minutes

Then I just washed them off with water..

Next step I used a wetting agent mixed with water and sprayed that onto the glass..( the wetting agent is supposed to give a streak free finish)

The end result showed just small residue spots but basically the glass was clean..All I needed to do was to rub the spots off with a paper towel..

Unfortunately there was still some smeary areas on the glass and I couldn't get rid of them...

I hope the vinegar you suggested will finally do the trick..

Thanks again..

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Prof

It's good to know you've managed to find alternative solutions. If that power washer doesn't do the job nothing will. I hope you get that super clean look you are after.

Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing the sliding glass door clean and streak-free.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects