Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill the old door lock holes?

krishna
Growing in Experience

How to fill the old door lock holes?

Hi All,

I got a new solid timber door from doors plus. they delivered the door. their carpenter installed it (he needed to trim the door to properly fit the door frame. All good.

The problem now is, the door frame got few extra holes now from the old door lock. The new door lock metal plate that screw on the door frame is coming off loose. 

I had to tight the screws almost every week. 

Is there any way that I can use multi tool with wood blade and cut the current holes and fill it with a new timber peace. Or fill the holes with putty or some thing and once dried re do the holes for the lock? You can see in the picture that middle screw is missing. Thats because there is not enough timber on the back to hold the screw.

is it even possible?Door.jpeg

JacobZ95
Growing in Experience

Re: Filling the door frame holes

Hi @krishna,

The simplest and easiest fix for this would be to throw out the screws that came with the lock and get some longer screws. Behind the door jamb, there will be a timber stud to support the door frame. If you get a timber screw such as Zenith-8gx50mm Zinc Plated Hinge Long Thread Timber Screws, it will bite into the timber stud behind stopping the issues you’re finding. 

You can then use Builders Bog to fill the old rebate before sanding and painting. 

Hope this helps,

Jacob

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fill the old door lock holes?

Hello @krishna 

That's excellent advice coming from @JacobZ95. Please note that when using the Builders Bog not to use too much activator or the putty will dry too fast. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jaiprak
Having an Impact

Re: How to fill the old door lock holes?

@krishna - if the door was installed with a paid service (I assumed), should they not be addressing this? 

if for some reason they won’t I would say remove the plate. Drill the hole with a next size drill bit and fill it with dowel and glue. Cut the excess and then drill holes and put the screws back on

krishna
Growing in Experience

Thank you for your suggestion.

I filled the hole with Builders bog and redid the holes as per the template.

looks good.

Thank you,

Krishna

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @krishna 

I'm glad to hear that you got the doorframe repaired. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the repaired door frame holes. I'm sure our members would be keen to see what it looks like.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects