Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill this gap on front porch?

eeehhhyyy
Just Starting Out

How to fill this gap on front porch?

Looking into filling this gap at the front of my house. Should I just be filling up with sand or a sealant considering that my porch is just concrete panels. Thanks9797697E-23B6-4FAA-9CB5-5DFEFB87194A.jpegF94BC48A-5654-4A89-AB2C-9B882F194B00.jpeg7E09D358-F0D5-4EC9-A7DF-BF3C16A731C2.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Gap Filling

Hello @eeehhhyyy

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about gap filling.

Looking at the pictures you've posted, it seems like there is more going on here than just a gap-filling issue. It seems like your house foundation has shifted exposing the bottom part of your wall. It could also be the paved area in front of your house has settled down lower than the foundation line of your house. I recommend inspecting inside your house and looking for large or out of the ordinary wall cracks. If you find very large cracks, I suggest engaging the services of a foundation engineer to assess the house foundations' condition.   

There are a few common causes for house foundation shifting, these include soil type, improperly compacted soil, extreme rain cycles, and tree roots.  If water is being diverted from your pavers and garden into this part of your house, it is being absorbed by the soil making it soft and when it evaporates the soil contracts and you get shifting. I suggest either using Everhard 3m EasyDRAIN Polymer Grate And Prejoined Channel or Vinidex 100mm x 20m Socked Slotted Draincoil to divert any water coming into the area.

However, if the house foundation has not shifted and it's only the front soil that has settled down, odds are it is caused by rainwater. My original recommendation of putting in a water diverter should prevent further sinking of the pavers. Covering the area with sealers or cement will only divert the water into the next lowest area of your property. Your goal is to prevent water from reaching your house walls.

Step back and observe your entire area and see if the land on your property is sloped towards your house. If you are getting an excessive amount of water flowing into your property, it will be necessary to install a drain system to divert the water.

Let me tag our experienced members @Brad, TedBear and @ProjectPete for their recommendations. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects