Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a heavily spoilt wooden section?

tgnana
Just Starting Out

How to fix a heavily spoilt wooden section?

I am after a glue/resin/paste that could be  injected into a heavily spoiled wooden section, after which, I wish to screw on it. The typical situation is when the wooden frames of doors, where the hinge is attached become loose and soft over time. One option is (best option) to cut the damaged wooden section and replace with a fresh wooden block. But, in my situation, I cannot do that. Hence I want to inject something that upon solidifying becomes like wood where I could drill and screw. Thank you . 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: fixing a heavily spoilt wooden section

Hello @tgnana

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about fixing a spoilt section of your timber frame.

Since you can't cut the section out, I suggest the following steps. I recommend using Earl's 250ml Wood Hardener. Make sure to spray heavily inside the hole as much as you can. Please note, It's important to wash out the sprayer with water otherwise, the hardener will solidify inside the spray nozzle.

When the hardener has done its work, I suggest cutting down some timber inserts to fit inside the screw holes. I suggest using Selleys Plastibond 800g Heavy Duty Bog. Apply a generous amount on the timber insert and the screw hole. Tap the timber insert into place filled with the bog. Once the bog has hardened, you can cut off the excess materials and sand down the area for drilling in the new screw holes.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please don't hesitate to post them.

Let me tag our experienced members @TedBear and @tom_builds for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Stuckster
Getting Established

Re: How to fix a heavily spoilt wooden section?

Wood Hardener is the way to go. Alternatively an epoxy resin thinned to the consistency of almost water would also work a treat.

I wouldn't use Builders Bog (Selleys Plastibond and the like) for timber repairs. Polyester resins do not adhere well to timber. They also become very brittle once cured and don't allow for the natural expansion and contraction in wood (especially outdoors). Instead I'd suggest an expoxy based filler such as http://megapoxy.com/product/megapoxy-pm/ that will provide a much stronger, more flexible bond. Can be shaped, sanded and painted just like builders bog. It can yellow a bit if exposed to UV but if you're painting over it then it's not an issue.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Stuckster. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the discussion.

That sounds like some solid advice you've provided there. I like the idea of a thinned resin penetrating the timber fibres. How does someone thin an epoxy resin? Would that be a two-part system, and you just add more of one of the parts?

We're looking forward to hearing all about your projects and plans around the house and garden. Please shout out anytime you need assistance or have something to share.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @tgnana,

Could we please have a picture or two of what you are talking about?

That will give us a better idea on how to advise a repair.

Thanks,

Mike T.

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @MitchellMc,

You don't ever thin 2 part epoxy with anything, it messes up the chemical composition of the 2 parts.

The two parts are what they are, for a reason.

Yeah sorry. Should have said, use straight resin without any fillers to thicken it. That will seap into the timber fibres.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects