Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix indoor privacy set door latch?

rajavamsi
Growing in Experience

How to fix indoor privacy set door latch?

Dear Community experts / members,

The privacy set on one of my doors is not working. Upon checking, I found that the latch is not working (as identified in Picture 2 and 3).

For context, the latch on my door does not have any screws. It sits in tight as you can see from the photographs (Refer photo 4 and you will find that there are no screw / holes for fixing the latch to the door.)

I am looking for some guidance on the following: 

a. Is it possible to find a replacement for this part ? If so, would be able to advise where I should look for ? 

b. If option A is not possible, is there an alternate set that you would recommend ? I went to Bunnings and bought a privacy set. (Lemaar - Calida - Privacy set) However, this privacy set requires screws to be attached to the latch like in Photo 5 which I would like to avoid.)

Photo 5.jpegPhoto 1.jpgPhoto 2.jpgPhoto 3.jpgPhoto 4.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Indoor - Privacy set - Door Latch - Help Needed

Hi @rajavamsi,

Thank you for your question on replacing a part on your privacy lever set.

This part of your privacy lever set is called a tubular latch. There are similar options for replacement such as this Gainsborough 60mm Bright Chrome Round Strike Drive-In Collar Face Tubular Latch but you would need to confirm compatibility before committing to this purchase. 

I would suggest you bring your old tubular latch in store to compare and verify its compatibility with the holes in your door and the existing hardware. 

There are three main things you will need to verify are the back set and the size of the spindle. 

Firstly, the diameter of the collar on your tubular latch. As this style of tubular latch is not screwed into the face of the door, it needs to fit snug in the hole to ensure its alignment during operation. I have circled the collar piece that you should compare below.

The back set refers to the distance from the edge of the door to the centre of the hole drilled for the doorknob or lock mechanism. It's essentially the measurement from the edge of the door to where the centre of the knob or lock will sit. 

The spindle hole is the square shaped hole on the tubular latch, that the spindle is placed through to turn and operate the latch. You need to ensure that the spindle fits snugly in this mechanism to prevent any slipping when rotating.

If all of these things match up, then you have an easy fix, and it would be as simple as replacing the old tubular latch. If you find that these parts don't match perfectly, you may need to try to identify the manufacturer of your old tubular latch to look into ordering a replacement part.

Let me know if you have any further questions, I am more than happy to assist further.

Jacob

rajavamsi
Growing in Experience

Thank you for the detailed response.  I was able to locate the tubular latch at my local bunnings and the problem is solved.

Thank you, @JacobZ 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @rajavamsi,

Great to hear you've had some success.

Keep us in mind if you need some advice on anything else in future.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects