Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix verandah leaks?

Paul226
Just Starting Out

How to fix verandah leaks?

Hi there,

I've got a verandah at the back of the house, when it rains get lots of water drips coming from the house end of the verandah where it meets the fascia board. The house is around 40 years old and pretty sure it is the bitumen impregnated foam that's gone brittle and no longer providing a seal as explanied in this site:

Verandah Leaks & Maintenance | (uttergutters.com.au)

Has anyone fixed this problem before and what worked for you? The company above only operate in SA and as far as I can see couldn't find anyone in Sydney providing a similar service? Also another company didn't recommend using scribed flashing as once the water gets in, it may get trapped.

Was thinking using Crommelin exterior grade waterproofing with the application tape to seal the back end of the verandah to try stop the water getting to the bitumen seal in the first place, used this before for gutter repairs, seems to work well, any thoughts?

Cheers, Paul.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Suggestions fixing verandah leaks

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Paul226. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about sealing a verandah.

Any chance you could take some images of where the verandah meets the house? Once our helpful members have an idea of what's going on there, I trust they'll be full of solutions. If you can show us on top of the roof that would be the most useful. 

It sounds like you need to improve the seal or add flashing to prevent blowback of water in high winds. I'll be keen to see what's currently being used and how the verandah is joined to the house.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Attached some photos, the stains on the fascia board show where the leaks are happening. The following Stratco document in the "outback flat" section has clearer diagram how the back channel is attached to the fascia, note the bitumen impregnated foam insert, this is the part that's old.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi2joGTmO74AhW3TWwGHXrBD... 

Can't replace the bitumen foam seal without taking the verandah apart and not all areas leak. 

IMG_6102.JPGIMG_6103.JPGIMG_6702.JPG

thumbnail_IMG_3208.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Paul226,

Appreciate those images and additional information. Ultimately the sheets should be removed and the foam seal replaced. The next best option I can think of is trying to prevent water from accessing the rear of the sheet. I'd presume you'd be able to fit a Crommelin Superseal between the gutter and the sheeting. Hopefully, that would prevent water ingress to that back seal. You'll need to clean the roof sheeting thoroughly and compress the Superseal into the gap. It wouldn't hurt to use a Brushable Waterproofer between the sheeting and the seal, so water doesn't get under it.

If you see one of our helpful team members at your local store's Special Orders desk, they'll be able to order the Superseal in the Klip Lok profile to suit your roof sheeting.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects