Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get started in mosaic What do I need please?

maryg
Building a Reputation

How to get started in mosaic What do I need please?

I am a newly have never attempted any craft before but have a lot of free time now and love colour so here I am going into mosaic 

Any advice hints tips suggestions will be great fully appreciated 

Awesome times ahead! 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to get started in mosaic What do I need please?

Hi again @maryg,

Let me tag some of the community members that have shared mosiac projects with us in the hope that they can share their getting started tips with you.

@TerryN@CharlieG@Shelby@Mammasalt@Jewhite123@Diamondee@gippslandhome 

Looking forward to seeing what you create.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Workshop community @maryg. I'd be happy to help with your question.

We have a fantastic range of mosaic supplies to get you started on your adventure. To begin making mosaic art there are only a few basic items you need. A Mandala Art Mosaic Glass CutterMandala Art Mosaic Glue and Mandala Art White Super Fine Mosaic Grout.

If cutting your own tiles is a bit daunting for a first project, I can suggest using the pre-cut tiles similar to Mandala Art Honeycomb Mosaic Glass Tiles.

For my first mosaic, I simply cut some plywood board as a base and used the pre-cut pieces. I printed a template of the image I wanted to achieve (nautilus) then transferred it onto the board to give me a guide to follow. I added glue to the board and placed my tiles until my image was complete. I followed that by grouting the tiles and cleaning up the excess.

If you have any questions or need further advice on mosaics, please let me know.

Mitchell

mosaic.png

maryg
Building a Reputation

Wow that information is awesome Thank you I will go online and buy those items today :smile: I’ve been down to the beach collecting these awesome flat shells blue and grey hues and pearl I’m thinking if of making a big fish and using these shells as the scales. I’m not sure what bade to build it on ( it’s to mount outside on my fence in the garden ) I’m thinking I glue them but I don’t want it flat I want it to look like a 🐟 so need something to build the body up? For the fins I’m thinking maybe scallop shells or cockle shells I have some beautiful Paua shells but I need to find out how to sand the outer shell off those. I’m unsure about the head ..... Any suggestions again I’m so appreciative :smile: Thank you Stay Safe x

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @maryg. Sounds like it will be an amazing piece of artwork when finished.

If you wish the board to be hung outside I would recommend marine plywood which you can paint to assist in preventing moisture damage. To build up a 3D effect on the fish, I would use Selleys 250g Clear Liquid Nails Construction Adhesive which is more viscous than the tile adhesive I mentioned. You can build the adhesive up in layers until you reach the desired body thickness.

Let me know if there is anything else you need and please keep us updated on your progress.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects