Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install plasterboard or ply to Strammit?

hamish71
Finding My Feet

How to install plasterboard or ply to Strammit?

Im after advice as to how to install either plasterboard or ply to my ceiling. The ceiling throughout the house is currently Strammit (compressed straw panels). Intend using battens to provide a small relief for new light wiring, and securing the panels to the battens.

However, how do I secure the battens to the Strammit? To further complicate matters, in some places there is a significant roof cavity above the strammit, and in others there is none.

image (3).jpgimage (8).jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install plasterboard or ply to Strammit?

Hello @hamish71

Thanks for sharing that question about hanging plasterboard on your ceiling. It's great that you've managed to identify the type of material you have on your ceiling. Your description of the Stramit board is spot on, it's a compressed fiberboard material held together with natural adhesives. It is capable of holding light objects such as small light fittings and batten lamp holders, but anything heavier is not recommended.

In this scenario, your idea of installing battens is the answer to mounting the panels to your ceiling. However, instead of just putting in single battens, I suggest building a batten frame and fixing it to the timber beams running across your ceiling. The batten frame will now be the fixing point for your panels and there'll be no need to hang anything onto the Stramit board.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your ceiling installation project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Eric,

Given I want to lose as little ceiling height as possible, and leave the beams exposed, what dimension timer should I use for the batten frame. Too big and I lose height and the exposed beams will look a little silly. Too small and I fear they will sag under the load. Beams are about 1150 apart.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @hamish71

I recommend using 70 x 35mm Framing MGP10 H2 Blue Pine L/M in combination with 38 x 17mm 2.7m Melamine Batten Natural Wood. I don't suggest anything smaller because as you mentioned if the frame is too light, it will sag under the load. Adding the general thickness of plasterboard which is 10mm, you will have a combined thickness of 35mm + 17mm + 10mm = 62mm. Depending on how tall the beams are, this measurement is what you'll have to take into consideration.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects