Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to level a slate floor?

NannasRenos
Getting Established

How to level a slate floor?

I'm looking at putting timber look flooring over the top of my slate flooring throughout the whole of downstairs.  The flooring I've chosen has underlay already attached underneath it.  I've been advised to use Dunlop timber floor leveling compound to smooth out the slate. Firstly, do I need to have a drill with a paddle to mix it or can I use something else?  Secondly do I really need to wait 48 hours before I can start laying the timber flooring?

received_1159133427992453.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to level a slate floor?

Hi @NannasRenos,

Let me tag our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts in @MitchellMc and @EricL to assist you with your flooring project. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @NannasRenos

Thank you very much for sharing your question about levelling your slate floors. Using a drill paddle mixer is very handy and ensures a thorough mix of the flooring levellers materials. It is not necessary as you can mix the floor leveller by hand, but it will take a lot longer and you may miss parts of the mix. 

In ideal conditions, 48hours is the minimum amount of time you have to wait for the floor leveller to cure. I would recommend waiting longer to make sure that all the moisture in the floor leveller has gone out. It also ensures that the floor leveller is totally ready for use and can be stepped on.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

NannasRenos
Getting Established

Thanks for your reply.  My other option is to jack hammer the slate up.  This way we at least won't have height issues around doorways.   What would you recommend would be easiest or better?  Many thanks.

Hi @NannasRenos,

By far, the leveller over the tiles would be the easiest option. However, it's typically best to avoid layering flooring over existing flooring. I'm not suggesting you'll run into issues, but starting with a clean slate (pardon the pun) can simplify the installation. There will be a substantial amount of work involved with removing the tiles, and you might still need to lay a leveller if the revealed surface is uneven.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Thankyou so much. Floor leveler was used today and was really quite easy.  Now to wait until i can lay the flooring.  🎉🎉🎉

Keep those pictures coming, @NannasRenos! Our members will be eager to follow along and love seeing progress images.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects