Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to mount a laundry cupboard to metal studs?

natalie_
Just Starting Out

How to mount a laundry cupboard to metal studs?

I am looking to attach this cupboard to my laundry wall, however we have steel beams. What would be the best way to do so? Do I drill holes into the beam, then use screws to attach the cupboard? What drill bit and what screws do you recommend?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/flatpax-utility-600mm-2-door-wall-cupboard_p2666203#

Thanks in advance!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to mount a laundry cupboard to metal studs?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @natalie_. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about hanging cabinets on metal studs.

A couple of methods you can use are toggle anchors or self-tapping screws directly into the steel beams. You'd only need to drill holes for the toggle anchors as the screws will cut their hole. If you were going with the toggles, then you'd use a Sutton Tools 7/16" Viper Jobber Drill Bit for the hole in the metal stud. A Sutton Tools 3mm Viper Jobber Drill Bit can be used to pre-drill cabinetry for either the self-tapping or toggle screw.

It will likely be easier to use the self-tapping screws. Just be careful you don't over-tighten them as you can strip out the metal stud. Do them up until they a just snug.

Here's a handy step-by-step guide that you should find useful: How to install kitchen wall cabinets. Although they're showing you how to install into timber studs, the methods used are similar.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to mount a laundry cupboard to metal studs?

Hi @natalie_ ,

Welcome and thanks for taking the time to ask this question.

People tend to freak out when they are met with steel studded buildings and there isn't really a reason for this, all it takes is a different way of thinking.

With wood/timber, you'd screw straight into the wood and that is what you have, job done.

With steel though, while it is harder than wood, you just need different fasteners and tools to fit them.

Ever seen them Impact drivers that Bunnings sell?, they are made to drive Tek screws, while there are two different types of these screws, the most important one is the screw that is made for metal fasteners.

The metal ones are instantly recogniseable as metal screws, they have a cutting end on them and they drill a thread as they are inserted into any reasonably thin metal (say 1.5 - 2mm thick steel).

If you want to make life easier for the screw before you start to drill with it, put a dash of cutting oil on the end of the cutting part of the screw.

Cutting oil is found at most engineering suppliers, it is a thick, dark coloured oil and is sold under the brand Rocol RTD.

I hope that this advice has been of some use to you.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects