Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to patch up a lock cylinder hole?

Nashi
Getting Established

How to patch up a lock cylinder hole?

Hi team,

I need to reposition a deadlatch due to the door frame shifting significantly (a few cm). I've had to shave off a fair bit from the vertical edge of the door.

I'm guessing the best way to do this is to patch up the existing cylinder hole through the door, then drill a new one. Whats the best way to do this?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to patch up a lock cylinder hole?

Hi @Nashi,

The best product to use would be Builder's bog. It's a two-part filler that you can drill and screw into once it has cured. Since it cures quite hard, it's best not to be too excessive with the coats as sanding can be tedious. I've found applying two smaller coats to be the best approach.

Please let us know if you need further help or have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I had six doors where the flanges of the new latches were slightly smaller than the existing hole.

With a hole saw I cut "wheels" from 35mm thick wood - slightly smaller than the existing hole diameter.

Lathered Selleys Rapid Cure glue and insert. Cures in 10 minutes. Apply Builder's Bog in any depressions - and eventually sand.

Worked a treat.

Scan0409.jpg

Nashi
Getting Established

Thanks mate, this seems to be the most straight forward way of doing it. Cheers.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Nashi,

Did you have any success filling that cylinder hole? I trust our members would greatly appreciate learning from your experience. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects