Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prepare for painting a ceiling?

mungo
Just Starting Out

How to prepare for painting a ceiling?

I would like to paint the insides of an old house I have just moved into. It has massive tobacco staining on walls and ceilings. How do I prepare the surfaces particularly ceilings before I paint 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: preparation for painting a ceiling

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mungo. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about preparing surfaces for painting.

I'd suggest you start by thoroughly decreasing the walls and ceiling with Methylated Spirits changing the cloth regularly. Fill any cracks and small surface defects with a suitable filler. After the filler has dried, rub it down with a fine grade abrasive paper. Remove all dust. Prime all areas with Zinsser CoverStain Primer Sealer Stain Blocker. This product is specifically designed to cover nicotine stains. You'll then be able to apply the wall and ceiling paints of your choice.

With the deviation of using the specific primer I've recommended above, you should find these step-by-step guides useful:How to paint a ceiling and How to paint a wall.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects