Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prepare the floor for floating flooring?

Norman1
Getting Established

How to prepare the floor for floating flooring?

Greetings- we are renovating a very old shack and will be removing the ‘exquisite’ kitchen carpet which has been glued to a cement floor. Any suggestions on how to best prepare the floor -once carpet removed - to install floating flooring? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: carpet glue

Hello @Norman1

Thank you for sharing your question about how to prepare your floor when installing floating floor systems.

My number one suggestion is to make sure that the floor is flat. Remove any remaining glue that is attached to the floor using a Craftright 5-in-1 Scraper and for really stubborn spots use an Ozito 100mm (4") 850W Angle Grinder. Just remember not to overdo it. Your objective is to get a nice flat surface. 

Now that the carpet has been removed. This would be a good time to observe if there are any water leaks or wet spots on the floor. If there are leaks, they will need to be repaired before installing the floating floor. However, if there are no leaks and the floor is flat you can begin your installation.  

If the shed is humid and tends to hold a lot of moisture, I suggest using Hybrid Waterproof Flooring. This type of flooring is 100% waterproof and is ideal for humid and wet areas. It sounds like an excellent shed remodeling project! Any updates you can provide would be much appreciated. If you have any other questions you would like to ask, please don't hesitate to post them. Our members would be more than happy to provide advice and information. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to lay laminate flooring

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Norman1
Getting Established

what is this and how to remive

We have taken up carpet on a floor in old 60’s shack to find what looks like dried up black dusty type dirt - not sure what it is? Think some type of dried up rubber glue? Any suggestions around what it’s us or any safety issues to be concerned about? Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: what is this and how to remive

Hi @Norman1,

This might be a case where a picture of this dirt-like substance would be really beneficial for our members when trying to determine what it actually is. Is the dried up material between the carpet and a concrete slab? If so, then one would assume it is some type of glue. At a bare minimum, you'd need to be wearing a respirator and have gloves on when dealing with it.

I look forward to seeing some images, as they'll help us get to the bottom of this mystery. Please let me know if you need any assistance uploading them.

Mitchell

Pic of floor - cement floor 

CA30B1EB-BBEA-42DE-A5CB-3F473973F0FB.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I apologise, @Norman1. There doesn't appear to be any identifiable substance from your image. Perhaps a closeup or a higher resolution image would give us a better look.

You need to be aware that some carpet underlays re-used hessian bags that contained friable asbestos. Glues and adhesives used on carpet underlay may contain non-friable asbestos. So, there is a possibility that this substance contains asbestos. In the absence of a test that has determined this substance does not contain asbestos, you should treat it as it does. All appropriate safety measures need to be taken.

My concern is that this "dusty type dirt" might be asbestos ridden hessian that has deteriorated into a crumbly dirt-like appearance. It's advised that you seek professional analysis for any unknown glue substance in older dwellings as up until the 1980s, asbestos was occasionally used in adhesives.

Here's our Best Advice article on Where might you find asbestos in your home?.

Mitchell

Very helpful - will seek professional advice

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects