Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prevent a front door from sticking?

Kvic
Having an Impact

How to prevent a front door from sticking?

The front door was in need of a replacement but I removed it and repaired. The sealing around the glass was allowing water internally into the door and the wood panels in places, you could push your finger right through the door.

After the repairsAfter the repairs 

The door has new wood and is all sealed up and now I need to finish the other parts to the door I haven't done yet and need advise on what I should look for to fix the problem and not just do the aesthetics.

After each rain the side bottom of the door jams to the door frame and when the rain goes away the door is no longer jammed.

The problem I feel is water is getting into the door frame and while I could just replace the frame pieces I do not think this is the problem and would like advise what I should be looking for.

Water Damage FrameWater Damage FramePaint from Front DoorPaint from Front Door

I feel the water must be coming in from somewhere but I don't see where and hope I will see the problem when I remove the door frame parts. Also there is staining under the door that I should do something about.

Water under tilesWater under tiles

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Front Door sticking

Hi @Kvic,

The door jamming is likely a combination of the water swelling the timber in the frame and the door. If you can't detect the source of the water, then typically, you'd sand a small amount of timber off the frame and door in the location where they are binding. You might only need to sand a tiny amount to prevent this binding issue.

If you'd like to resolve the water ingress issue, you'll need to examine the exterior of the frame and surrounding timberwork to determine any points water could be entering. The first one I spot is the aluminium trim across the threshold. There looks to be an almost 5mm gap under it that water can penetrate. Although the threshold is on a slope, any wind while it is raining will drive the water back up and under the trim. The water will then enter your floorboards and make its way into the door frame. I'd recommend sealing this gap with Parfix 300g Clear All Purpose Silicone. You should also regrout those tiles, or you could use the silicone to seal the gaps in them.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Water I felt must be getting under the door step from the stain and I want to replace the bottom wood step, strip and seal. I assume I can purchase the bottom wood piece already to size?

I have the other door frame parts from the bathroom door reno ready to go and a torch to look into the door frame cavity for the water source.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

What "bottom wood step" are you referring to @Kvic? Is the dark grey section timber? I had presumed it might be a piece of slate given the thickness of the edge.

Mitchell

The timber the aluminium strip is screw on to and sounds a bit hollow when you knock on it and warn not like slate.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

The aluminium trim is likely screwed into the end of your floorboards or the subframe @Kvic. The dark grey section could quite possibly be timber. It might just be the image, but the edge of it looks around 5mm thick. If so, that would indicate it is slate and not timber, as using such thin timber on a door threshold would be unusual. The use of slate across this area would be period correct for many older historic homes. Either way, you'll likely not discover the profile of this piece and its availability until you remove it. Unless it is timber and rotten, I'd be more concerned about sealing those gaps than removing the section. How rotten is the rest of the frame that you intend on replacing? Once again, it might be the images, but the frame doesn't appear overly decayed. However, I understand the timber frame might be soft under the paint.

Mitchell

IMG20230318093716.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

From this angle, I can see that it's most likely timber @Kvic. Can you measure its width and thickness for me, please? I can then check to see what the closest available profile would be.

Mitchell

After a week of digging holes and laying drain pipe and moving 2 ton of blue mental with a bucket and stair walking trolley the body isn't willing but the mind still works. I will get back to you at a later date. Thanks for you help Mitchell.

Kvic
Having an Impact

I have removed the inside door trim to reveal the inside of the door to investigate the cause of the door jam swelling during wet periods.

Red paint from door when jamming.Red paint from door when jamming. 

The area behind the swollen area is a mess

Timber is water damagedTimber is water damaged

I could also see a small bit of light coming through from the outside just above the swollen area

White dots are holesWhite dots are holes

The problem stems from the trimming around the front door on the outside

The cause of the problemThe cause of the problem

I will wait till there is some rain to confirm that this is the problem

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects