Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to reduce transition height between tiles and laminate flooring?

crankycaulker
Finding My Feet

How to reduce transition height between tiles and laminate flooring?

Hi all, I am looking for advice on how to reduce the difference in floor height between a tiled and laminate room. The drop between the two is about 15mm which does not look great and I keep stubbing my toe. Any ideas for covering the join or improving this?

IMG_6507.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to reduce transition height between tiles and laminate flooring?

Afternoon @crankycaulker 

I have that same level transition between my hall and bathroom and also lounge and dining room due to tiling. 😕 I havnt stubbed my toe yet but prob will now I have mentioned it :smile:

I have considered the L shape angle you have in your pic and decided I didnt think it made it nice enough to put it in. I have considered a "step" as in using some 40mm trip in front to actually merge the two levels in but figured id trip over it. 

Having a second look at your pic how about a 1/4 turn round, Porta 9 x 9mm 2.4m Moulding Tasmanian Oak Quad Select - 2.4m  more to give the shape profile then the type of timber.

You could also go for the triangle look Porta 8 x 8mm 2.4m Tri Quad Tasmanian Oak  

With both I wouldnt get a 15mm height size but go for a little under it, say 12mm just so you dont "clip" the top with your foot.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @crankycaulker 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about reducing the transition height on your floor.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1. Just to add to the suggestion made, I recommend having a look at Roberts 1.65m Silver Junior Ramp Floating Floor Trim, Roberts 1.65m Gold Ripple Trim and Roberts 0.825m Pewter Hammered Cover Strip Trim.

These are all designed to help with transitioning between uneven floors. However, if they are not enough, I suggest having a look at Porta 19x12mm 1.8m Bevel Glass Bead Tasmanian Oak and trimming the height down to 15mm.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @Dave-1

I was in Bunnings looking at the Porta 1/4 round yesterday and wondering if it could work. Great advice, thank you.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects