Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove flyscreens?

homeowner123
Just Starting Out

How to remove flyscreens?

Hi Team, 

Moved into a new house recently and i will be buggered if i know how to take out the flyscreens. If you can see they have tabs on the outside (which i think is unusual - surely they should be inside) and i have ripped a few off trying to get enough purchase .

The lift straight up and i would have thought with a bit of fiddling would pop out either side, i don't want to bend the fram too much as it looks close to crease point. Any guidance on how to get the remaining ones and ones now without tabs out would be much appreciated.Lifted up....shortly after this tag came out!Lifted up....shortly after this tag came out!20211102_133606.jpg20211102_133517.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove flyscreens?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @homeowner123. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about flyscreen removal.

Perhaps try pushing the top horizontal length of the frame into the recessed channel instead of trying to pull the bottom up. You'll be able to push it in the corners with quite a bit of force without the worry of crimping the middle down below.

This should be a relatively pain-free task. They slot into the recessed frame, allowing the other side to be easily removed. Since you are having some difficulty with that, I wonder if there is something else obstructing it?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
seannami
Building a Reputation

I have similar screens in my place- if the window is open, you can lift them as Mitchell said up into a groove in the top, then slide to one side into a similar groove, then pop the bottom corner out and then lift it down. I have had to use this method when locked out of the house a couple of times! (This admittedly demonstrates that fly screens are not security screens)

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @seannami

Thank you so much for that handy tip on how to remove flyscreens. Let me tag @homeowner123 to make them aware of your recommendation. I totally agree, flyscreens keep the flies out and not much else. Here is a handy gadget you might want to install in your house - Sandleford 122 x 88 x 40mm Wall Mount Key Storage Safe. You can mount it in a hidden area outside your house, where only close family members know where it's installed.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
seannami
Building a Reputation

Thanks Eric! This is in a rental so can't really install key safes- the first thing I did when I moved into my new house was install a digital deadlock! I highly recommend them if you want to avoid fumbling for keys

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects