Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove nicotine stains from walls?

seannami
Building a Reputation

How to remove nicotine stains from walls?

Hi everyone

So the new house I just bought is COVERED in nicotine stains and smells of cigarettes (I bought a doozy!). I will be 100% removing all carpet, blinds, curtains etc. which should help some of it. I have gotten some nilodor to put in the sugar soap solution to clean the walls, ceilings, every square inch of the place.

What would be the best primer for painting (after the walls are well cleaned)?

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Nicotine stains

Hello @seannami

It sounds like a fantastic renovation project in the making. I suggest using Dulux 4L PRECISION Stain, Smoke & Odour Blocker to seal all the smells in the walls. If you are closing the house at night, I suggest leaving an open bag of Jumbuck 7kg Lumpwood Charcoal BBQ Fuel in the room with the strongest smell. The charcoal will absorb all the odours present in the room.

This would be a fantastic opportunity for you to document all the remodelling projects you will be making on the house. Any updates you can provide while working on the house would be much appreciated. Should you have any questions about your renovation, please don't hesitate to post them. Our members would be more than happy to provide you with advice and information.

If you need further assistance please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
seannami
Building a Reputation

Thanks Eric

I'll definitely be documenting my progress. I won't have access to the house for a couple of weeks now, but there will definitely be posts!

Unfortunately as I'll need 50L of primer the Dulux is a little pricey for my budget (didn't realize the stains were nicotine when I bid, I thought it was kitchen grease!) so might have to save it for the worst rooms and go a nice basic 3 in 1 for the rest.

Being shellac, I assume any old water based paint over top won't cut it? Or could I do one coat of this and a coat of regular primer to be able to use water based- I suffer bad migraines so oil based paints are something I would like to avoid.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @seannami

Thank you for the update on your painting project. The next time you are on your property would it be possible for you to post a photo of the wall you are referring to? Having a shellac-covered wall will require a totally different primer. Shellac often falls under difficult surfaces to prime. A deep and thorough sanding might be necessary to remove the shellac if you wish to use an ordinary primer.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the photos of your wall.

Eric

seannami
Building a Reputation

Oh, sorry, I wasn't clear, I more meant can I use any paint over the Dulux primer (I  thought the primer was shellac based?)- the wall itself is just regular paint with nicotine and dust :cheeky:

I have a 'before' video I recorded to show family and friends the progress over lockdown, I can pull a bit out of that to show the issue in detail (and some other issues I will inevitably post about!). Unfortunately I hit a tier one and have to isolate so the progress ends there!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @seannami

So sorry to hear about the tier one isolation. You gave me a bit of a worry there with shellac. But you are absolutely correct shellac is referred to as a primer coat. My apologies as I am very old school when it comes to painting terms. I look forward to seeing the photos.

Eric

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @seannami,

It doesn't appear that your question about the Dulux 4L PRECISION Stain, Smoke & Odour Blocker and its ability to be painted over with a water-based paint was answered.  

It's suitable for all Dulux topcoats, including water-based wall paints. No need for a regular primer in between.

For the areas where you won't be using the Stain blocker, I'd suggest you thoroughly degreaser the walls and ceiling with Methylated Spirits changing the cloth regularly. You could then use a standard budget-friendly primer if no significant staining is left.

Mitchell

seannami
Building a Reputation

Just an update on progress so far- I've had to focus on the office and bedroom as these will need to be finished before I can move in, but the nicotine cleaning has commenced and its... unpleasant :cheeky:

Nicotine ceiling progressNicotine ceiling progressAfter cleaning about 30 square cmsAfter cleaning about 30 square cmsSee the differenceSee the difference

I'm cleaning with a strong sugar soap solution and changing the water often. It'll get another once over before I apply the dulux primer.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Well done @seannami, keep up the great work.

It could be worth trying the Methylated Spirits I mentioned earlier. It acts as a degreaser to break down the nicotine stains. It's the recommended product by our paint manufacturers for preparing nicotine-stained walls.

I can't wait to see your finished results.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects