Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove paint from wood grain pores?

theparlourroom
Having an Impact

How to remove paint from wood grain pores?

I have stripped and sanded back a vintage cedar dresser that was painted white. But there is still paint in the tiny wood “pores”. I don’t want to sand sown below them, as I’ll remove too much of the wood. I was wondering if I should try turps, or could that damage the wood. I’m wanting to stain it, not repaint it. Thanks! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove paint from wood grain pores

Hello @theparlourroom

Thank you for sharing your question about removing paint from wood grain pores. 

You may have to try several methods to see which one works best. I recommend trying these methods.

Removing primer, filler, and old paint embedded in the pores is difficult as it has been there for many years. If they prove too hard to remove you might not have a choice but to keep sanding. Don't give up, you've got this! Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your dresser restored.

Let me tag our experienced members @JDE and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi .@theparlourroom

.@EricL  suggestion should work especially if it was a water based paint you are removing, another suggestion is to try a chemical paint stripper. I know some companies dip parts to be stripped in a solution of caustic, just note this should be done by a professional only.

good luck 

Thank you Eric! I did have a moment when I felt like giving up and just painting it, but I’m determined to press on. I’ll give your ideas a go. I hadn’t thought of a heat gun. Thank you!! 

Thank you 😊 The stripper I’ve been using it water-based, so you’re correct that it may not be strong enough. It’s so toxic as it is that I really don’t want to use anything stronger (and I’m definitely not a professional). If only people didn’t paint beautiful wooden furniture in the first place!!! 

@theparlourroom  You could also try acetone/ nail polish remover, it will soften the paint to be removed, use sparingly and use in a well ventilated area.

Excellent, thanks! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects