Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace LED downlights?

emmadave
Growing in Experience

How to replace LED downlights?

Some of my led diwnlights are starting to flicker I've checked and they are just plugged into a socket in the ceiling you can buy them at bunnings but it says on packaging must be installed by electrician but they have a plug on them surely I can just plug them in?

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to replace LED downlights?

Hi @MitchellMc, @emmadave ,

I was reading a thing from the energy safety division in Australia.

Apparently, that warning must be attached to all electrical equipment, irregardless of how it connects to the mains supply.

Which in itself is quite cumbersome and I think people (consumers) have every reason to be confused.

What is more, is that the product is supplied with socket-outlets, normally, if you didn't have the socket-outlets already installed, you would hire

an electrician that would supply, install and test their own provided sockets.

I think by supplying the sockets with the product, it is inviting people to do their own electrical work, as it is cheaper to do so.

I had no idea that there was a blanket ban on ALL electrical work in Australia, this seems pretty heavy-handed, as here in New Zealand,

you can replace like-for-like switches and socket-outlets.

You can also install new circuits or relocate them, provided the house has new wiring in it and you must have an Inspector connect it at the switchboard.

We use the same voltage over here as Australia and even as a Fire Officer, I don't ever recall a DIY person ever causing either a fire or shock situation

to people in any given house in the last 20 years since the regulations were relaxed.

Sorry I will get off my soap-box now.

Mike T.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects