Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop caulking gun leaking

unawarek
Cultivating a Following

How to stop caulking gun leaking

Does anybody have any tips to stop silicone from leaking out from the tube when I've stopped pressing down on the trigger of a caulking gun?

I've tried putting my finger over the hole for a few seconds, but it still oozes out once I remove my finger. This is the caulking gun I'm using:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/paint-partner-skeleton-caulking-gun_p0328940

Thanks!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stop caulking gun leaking

Hi @unawarek,

Simply press the trigger release lever I've marked with the red arrow below, and it will release the pressure on the plunger, which stops the caulk from flowing. Occasionally you might need to also pull back on the plunger arm marked with the green arrow whilst depressing the lever. I just pull back the plunger arm out of habit as it ensure the flow stops immediately. 

Let me know how you go and if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Morning @unawarek 

Alternately - you can buy DRIPLESS guns - I bought this one from Bunnings.

Dunno how they work (magic?) - but they do not drip, brilliant!

20221023_085434.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Noyade,

I had a whole house worth of yellow tongue flooring to lay a couple of weekends ago. After the first day of hand caulking every floor joist with construction adhesive, I returned the second day with a Ryobi 18V ONE+ Caulking Gun. After a solid ten minutes of being ribbed about buying an electronic caulking gun, opinions soon changed when I started laying 1000mm long x 8mm wide beads in a fraction of the time it took to use a hand-powered gun. By the end of the day, everyone was using and praising it. It increased the speed of laying boards dramatically and saved me from a case of carpal tunnel.

I was a bit dubious of purchasing it at first, as it would need to lay down a higher volume than a hand-powered unit to warrant its use. We actually had to run it turned slightly down as you couldn't move across the joist fast enough to keep up with it. It also turns right down for precise jobs where neatness counts. Another neat feature is there's always full pressure all the time with a press of a button. No need to hand crank to get a full-thickness bead going and then crank again to keep the thickness consistent as you move along. I know occasionally, with hand-powered guns, I'll get a ribbed look to the bead where the pressure hasn't been consistent. Not an issue with the Ryobi, just one perfect full-thickness bead. The only concern we initially had was that it's heavier than a standard gun due to the motor and battery. By the end of the day, it turned out to be not an issue, as the benefits far outweighed the additional weight.

I'm thrilled with the purchase and donated it to my brother-in-law, as we have the rest of his house to fit out. It will come in clutch for anything like skirting boards, architraves and cornices. The real test will be when we get to the bathroom and kitchen. If it can lay down a precise bead better than a hand-powered unit, I think I'll throw the several I own in the bin.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Nice review Mitchell. @MitchellMc 

Now I want one.

But I usually only use a caulk/glue gun on rare occasions these days, nothing like what you've been through.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects