Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to tell if a beam is load bearing

EarlAJ
Just Starting Out

How to tell if a beam is load bearing

We are renovating and would like to remove a wall section that sticks out into a bedroom, however I don't know how to tell if the corner beam is load bearing or not. It certainly looks pretty solid (see photo), but from looking underneath the house, it doesn't seem to be resting on top of any beams beneath, just straight onto the floor boards.

Do I need to get an engineer in?

Beam.jpg

Re: How to tell if a beam is load bearing

Thanks for all of the responses, and apologies for not getting back sooner. Once the work week starts, I don't have time for much else.
I'll attach some more photos soon, but for now the good news seems to be the bit of wall we want to remove isn't in the original house plans and after removing some more plaster, I can see where the original wall ended, with what I think is far more likely load bearing.
Unfortunately, getting into the roof isn't an option as it's a very low pitch roof, so now crawl space.
BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Hi @EarlAJ thanks for the update
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

All good @EarlAJ, & glad that you're removing the tacked on addition wall, to make more room for yourselves.

Enjoy the reno. :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects