Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to use an electric drill?

REL-B
Finding My Feet

How to use an electric drill?

Hi everyone,

Before I begin please be aware that I’m a complete NEWBIE in regards to home improvements so please be patient with my very basic questions and inquiries. 

I would like to know the best way to learn how to use an electric drill as I want to mount security cameras to the outside of my house. I have a drill and all screws ets needed but just want to learn how to use it first before I get up on the ladder and try it.

Thank you for your help and again please be patient with me !!! 🤓

Re: I want to learn how to use an electrical drill and to know more information on the tool

I think it was somewhere around 1998 and I bought a small (300 watt) electric drill from Repco.

Loved it - small and versatile.

The specifications on the box told me it could drill metal to a maximum of 10mm diameter.

So I tried it on plate steel wedged at a comfortable angle on the ground.

And away I went.

Then at some point the drill bit 'grabbed' the metal and in a microsecond, the whole drill case shattered and disintegrated. The drill bit remained in the plate, still with the chuck attached.

I was left holding the handle, no longer connected to the chuck. The body was in pieces on the ground - and I kid you not, there were cogs rolling down the driveway. 😁

The circuit breaker had tripped.

I learnt a lot from that experience.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: I want to learn how to use an electrical drill and to know more information on the tool

Afternoon @Noyade 

Know that feeling too well! Tho I never broke the drill in such a spectacular fashion :smile: I did have incredibly sore lower leg bones from drilling gun metal casons? (service boxes for the side of the dock to ship) for the dockyard... It would grab no matter how I tried and I think I had around a dozen to install. I did them but had bruises for weeks. 

I can see your face just standing there holding the handle :smile: lol man that would have been a great shot!

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects