Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Introduce yourself to the community

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Introduce yourself to the community

Welcome to your Workshop. It is great to have you as a member of the community. We encourage you to say hello and introduce yourself.

Please reply to this post and tell us a bit about yourself. Whatever information you feel comfortable sharing is fine.

You might like to tell us about your current D.I.Y. and garden projects, your work, your passions, your hobbies, your dreams, what you struggle with, what you hope to learn from this community, and/or your favourite ice cream flavour.

And for something truly revealing about yourself - tell us what you call a barbecued sausage served on a single piece of bread.

We look forward to your post and getting to know you. Thanks for joining the discussion.

Jason

Community Manager

Sunshine.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
petersd
Finding My Feet

Re: Introduce yourself to the community

Hey team! My name is David. I live on a small rural property on the Central Coast of NSW, so am blessed to have a little space to create and dabble in DIY. I'm currently in the process of building myself a little home made workshed to keep some woodworking tools. My interest is in woodwork and timber DIY, so am really keen to be part of this community and see what others are doing. I'm especially interested to hear of the experiences of others regarding power tools - I'm just starting to gather my collection, so over time I might post a few questions about what people have found regarding different types.

Sorry, but I call a BBQ Snag on white bread a Diabetes Type 2 burger. Whilst I applaud Bunnings support of local community groups, as a nation we have got to address the message we are sending our kids about healthy eating choices. I'm calling on Bunnings to lead the way in at least encouraging your patrons at the Sausage Sizzles to have healthy options available - water not soft drink, wholemeal bread or buns.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: DIYJohn

Welcome to Workshop @DIYJohn. It's great to have you join us. I'm sure you have a lot of expertise and knowledge you can share with the community. 

Looking forward to seeing more of your posts soon.

Jason

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Workshop community David (@petersd) and many thanks for introducing yourself.

I'm sure many community members will be envious of your workshed. Perhaps you could share some photos of the project. 

I would also encourage you to start a new discussion about selecting power tools. I'm sure it would be a popular conversation of interest to a lot of community members. 

Thanks again,

Jason

Jethro0432
Getting Established

Hello world of DIY

I'm Ron, and after leaving school I trained as an Electrician, but gave that away after finishing my apprenticeship in 1976 to go driving trains.

I like to tinker in the shed but the wife and I have just built a new home and there is no room for a decent shed now, just a 2.6 by 3 Metre "tinny" for storage, so projects are going to be severly curtailed. 

My main hobby is Amateur Radio and this has changed so much over the years mainly due to the Internet but it is staying ahead of what the can be done on the Internet and it is pleasing to see people still coming in to the hobby.

There is still plenty to do around the house, gardens to establish, decking, retaining walls to be built so I am looking forward to hearing from anyone that can offer good advice on what can be done to convert this war zone in to something pleasing to look at.

Thanks for admitting me to the DIY community.

Cheers.

Ron. 

mpstdaff
Getting Established

Hi there, my name is Mike & we live in Freeling, South Australia. We have lived here for 16 years. I work for a company called Statewide Group Training - we employ Apprentices & Trainees & "lease" them out to host employers. We have host employers who are builders, mechanics, financial service agencies, nursing homes & the list goes on. If you or anyone you know is looking for work in South Australia, or looking for an Apprentice, Trainee or a casual or part time labourer feel free to give me a yell as I am sure I will be able to assist.
I am a mechanic by trade & am fortunate enough to be able to do most DIY projects I decide to have a go at.
On the 25th of November 2015 we lost part of our property, including shed, 95,500 L rainwater tank, pergola, verandah etc, etc to the Pinery Bushfire (a day I will never forget).
With the help of the staff at the new Bunnings Store in Gawler, I have been able to get the items I have needed to carry out the repairs/replacements. I am doing this myself as we were unable to get a builder to start the repairs until around August to September this year (2016).
I would like to take this opportunity to thank Bunnings for investing in the Gawler Community, & thank Dave, Helen & Nick & the rest of the crew in Gawler for their help & support.They have been fantastic to deal with. There has been a couple of small problems arise along the way, but these problems have been resolved quickly & professionally by Dave, Helen or Nick. I believe that when things go wrong or problems arise you get to see just how good the person on the other side of the counter is & I must say I cannot fault their customer service. Each time they have risen to the challenge & made every effort to ensure that I am looked after - What more could a customer ask for ??
Anyway I look forward to seeing the projects that other people put up & will add some of mine as time goes by.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Ron (@Jethro0432)

Congratulations on the new house. I'm sure there are many projects still to do and that the Workshop community will be keen to share their ideas and advice along the way as you turn it into your home. A very warm welcome to you. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your posts soon.

Jason

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Mike (@mpstdaff)

Many thanks for sharing your story. I'm sure your family and wider community have had a very tough six months, and that there is plenty of work still to be done. Glad to see you have been getting the support you need.

Thanks for joining Workshop and let me extend a very warm welcome to you. Please post again soon. There are lots of great discussions to join, and of course you should feel free to start your own discussion topics anytime. We'd love to hear about your projects.

Thanks again,

Jason

RipVanCutter
Growing in Experience

Well thanks very much for the warm welcome Jason, and hello to all in the community! What a wonderful idea to get a forum like this up and running...I think it will grow to be a fantastic resource for anyone involved in being handy around the home!

I am sure I am like many other people out there...I have been fiddling with things around the house for many years. I am a very active home motorcycle mechanic and also do a bit of work on the cars from time to time. So while things metal and mechanical occupy a lot of my time, I do get to do a fair bit of stuff around the house as far as handyman stuff is concerned..as directed by my darling wife or myself! I am happy fixing taps, doing minor (legal of course!) plumbing and electrical work, and plaster repairs, painting etc.
We have a brick veneer house that is about 40 years old, so some maintenance issues are inevitable, and I try to do what I can to save a few dollars where possible. One possible biggish project coming up at some stage is that my wife wants a larger pergola that the small one we currently have out the back, so that will be an interesting thing once we get started on that! I am sure I will be looking for some tips and suggestions from the learned contributors then!
@Jason....well, you have made me feel a bit boring with your question..it's just a snag in bread with tom sauce for me...but this has made me think we need to come up with a more exotic description. One of the problems is that with all the delicious varieties available today it's hard to have just one description referring to the sausages' origin...have to think about that!
Anyway, nice to be here and good luck with your projects everyone!
Damo
Getting Established

Hi All, my name is Damian, I live in Bendigo in a recently built house of my own design, I'm a civil engineer and work mostly in our company's office in Bendigo, but also regularly get out to job sites all over Aussie and NZ. I like to dabble in DIY projects quite a bit (when I've got time that is, which isn't overly abundant with a 20 month old boy and another due soon). I have completed a few projects recently, being a fixed louvre sunshade for the northern side of the house, a large plemet to hide roller blind mechanisms and curtain track on a corner stacking sliding door, installed an automated (i.e. net connected) watering system in the backyard, landscaped the backyard, built deck/timber pathway and have mostly completed landscaping in front yard, built a hall table, built stacked stone clad bar with a timber slab top in the rumpus room (still need to do shelving on the wall behind the bar), built a small shade house for my partners orchids, and finally built a cat run along the side of the house.

Still many project to do around the house and more keep getting added, but it'll be good to read other people's experiences with DIY and maybe provided some advice to others, if I've got anything to add. Thanks for setting this up!

Oh and @Jason, and it's just a 'snag', the bread is implied!

Many thanks for introducing yourself @RipVanCutter. Thank you for joining the community. I hope you find Workshop to be the source of many great project ideas and plenty of useful information. I'm sure the community also looks forward to seeing your projects come to fruition and celebrating your achievements with you.

Please post again soon.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects