Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is solar roof ventilation worth the money?

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Is solar roof ventilation worth the money?

So I've got that DIY itch again and one of the projects on my list is roof ventilation for the summer months, especially with our attic fully operational now. We have the tools and knowledge to get this project done, however what isn't settled is choosing between the traditional wind vents (which wife is advocating for) or the solar powered ones (I like new).

The issue I am facing is customer reviews, I have my eye on a couple of Ezylite solar vents but the reviews are just horrendous, research online is mixed with some people saying it's a scam, others saying it's fantastic. Has anyone in this community USED them, or know of anyone who has?

Would love some feedback before I pull the trigger on this one. 

Regards, 

Remarka6le 

Remarka6le
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Solar Roof Ventilation - Worth the money?

Hi @Remarka6le,

I think the best place to start would be by considering the benefits and downsides of both options. Solar is great when the sun is out, and traditional wind-powered vents are great when there is a breeze. Conversely, if there is no sun the solar vent doesn't work and if there is no breeze, the wind-powered vent doesn't work.

Let's take a look at airflow. The solar vent moves 400 cubic feet per minute, and a wind-powered vent moves (on average) 58 cubic feet per minute with a 12km/h breeze. We can see that the powered fan has a much higher airflow. You might like to look at the Bradford 250mm Airomatic Smart Roof Vent. It is a mains-powered unit but has a capacity of 647 CFM. Due to the high CFM there can be an audible noise from the fan when it's working to full capacity, but that's to be expected when moving that much air.

It would be my recommendation to go for the Airomatic unit. Just be aware that installing two in the same roof cavity will likely cause them to work against each other. You might, in fact, be better off with just one unit and installing air vents in the eaves. This allows the unit to suck out hot air whilst drawing in cooler air from the vents.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
lukec
Getting Established

Re: Is solar roof ventilation worth the money?

@Remarka6le 

I know this question is a few weeks old but thought I would put a response here all the same for anyone else wanting to ask the same question. 

I went through the same process for a house we recently bought in Brisbane and in the end, we opted for the Bradford units that Mitchel has mentioned. 

They come with multiple speed settings, low medium and high from memory, as well as an auto setting. At the higher settings they move a lot of air and I can feel a reasonable drop in temperature during the warmer months. Our house has a tin roof and no insulation so for us this has been particularly useful to bridge the gap until we get it installed.

Its worth noting that if you haven't already done so, you will need to install eaves vents to allow for the increased airflow. Also, as Mitchel has mentioned, there is noise that comes with this. I have pretty sensitive hearing and can hear them at night, however in the day they generally get lost in the background ambient noise of general life, whereas my wife doesn't notice them at all. I'm anticipating that we won't be able to hear them once the insulation is installed. 

In summary, for us, the cooling they've provided in the hotter months has outweighed the noise they generate. I'm pleased with the quality of them and expect them to last for quite a while but again, if low level droning noises might be an issue for you (as it does for some on the internet), this might not be the best for you. 

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

At this stage, I've purchased a single Bradford. We've already got vets installed in the eaves so that won't be an issue. Our house has a significant amount of insulation and will be installing the unit above our primary Attic space so the Bradford Unit can act as a sky light during day time hours. 

We're currently investigating options surrounding the speed controller so that we can control the speed (and ultimately turn the unit on or off) from the laundry if it's too noisy or not needed at the time. 

Remarka6le
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @lukec. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing your feedback.

It's always great to hear first-hand experience with a product. I trust your feedback with be exceptionally valuable for anyone considering installing the same unit. I'm glad it's made such a significant improvement to your home.

I am looking forward to hearing more about the projects and plans you have around the home or garden. Please let us know anytime you need assistance or have something to share with the community.

Mitchell

Hi,

i am looking for ventilation in my pigeon loft. 4.2 metres x 2.4 metres. I am looking at the Bradford https://www.bunnings.com.au/bradford-csr-solarxvent-250mm-solar-powered-vent-night-sky_p0139150 and wondering if this would be ok to install on a flat corrugated iron roof?

It would need to be in middle of roof.

Would that be hard to stop leaks from rain?

any advice will be much appreciated.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @rodsam 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about the installation of the Bradford CSR SolarXVENT 250mm Solar Powered Vent.   

Your flat roof in its flat configuration still has a small fall on it to prevent water from sitting on the roof. Therefore, installing the solar vent in the middle of the roof should not be an issue. 

Here is the link to the solar vent installation: Solar vent manual

Please make sure to take all safety precautions when working at height, please make sure that there are no electrical cables running under the roofing area where you plan on installing the solar vent. Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves and goggles when working on your project. Make sure to follow all the safety precautions printed on the installation manual.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Just wanted to drop a quick update now that the CSR Bradford AiroMatic Smart Roof Vent is up and running.

As mentioned earlier, I grabbed a single unit, and the install was pretty smooth—only had to pop off one tile, and the casing was surprisingly flexible, kind of like molding clay. Slapped on some storm sealant outside and used foam inside to keep things snug. Got a pro for the electrical work – didn't want to mess around with that.

Connected the Bradford to a nifty Wireless Google plug, so now we can play with the fan from our phones. Currently, it kicks in at 9 AM and calls it a day at 6 PM, unless the temperature is chill enough, thanks to its smart sensor. Honestly, we never notice it humming away, but then again, our roof is wrapped in insulation.

Since this new addition, we've felt a real drop in temperature. It's been a game-changer for our AC – now it's either super efficient or just not on at all  with those scorching 30+ degree days.

Figured I'd share in case anyone else is on the fence about these things – totally worth it. Planning to throw up a post soon on how I got it all set up.

Cheers,

Remarka6le

Appreciate this update.

I came across this thread from googling about roof vents. I'm in NZ so probably not dealing with quite as bad heat as OZ, but honesty its been getting hotter & hotter here tbh! Meant to be hitting 29-30 degrees today, that is HOT for here.

I was very keen on a solar vent & been considering brands. They are pretty expensive in NZ compared to OZ which is annoying.

Even the Bunnings here in NZ only sells 1 type, the commercial whirly bird type. 

@Remarka6le could you elaborate on the smart plug set up you did? If I went electric instead of solar I would want to be able to control it, noise at night time drives me batty! I'm guessing the Airomatic is a hardwired product, did you have a plug end wired on & then plug that into a smart plug? Or use an inline smart switch?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @kiwiDIYchick. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the discussion.

Hopefully, @Remarka6le can provide more details on their setup, but it sounds like an electrician likely wired in a socket in the ceiling and then a plug onto the unit, which allows a plug-and-play arrangement with a smart plug.

I'd encourage you to have a chat with the Special Orders team at your local Bunnings. They'll be able to check with our suppliers in your area to find out the availability of off-range powered roof vents.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects