Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Looking to paint skirting

H2O2
Finding My Feet

Looking to paint skirting

Hello all,

Could you pls suggest the paint, brush, type i need to use for skirting? 

Do i need to sand the skirting before painting as well?

So far  i think i need all this, is this correct?

*Dust sheet

*water based paint

*sand paper

*Masking tape

*paint brush

Thank you 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Looking to paint skirting

Hello @approachmhn

I recommend using a Monarch 63mm Moulding And Skirting Synthetic Paint Brush. Using a good brush will give you a better finish versus using a cheap brush that will leave streaks and brush marks. I suggest using a Monarch 180mm Doors Trims And Cupboards Roller Cover. Please look carefully as to what kind of paint you are using as the rollers are marked either for gloss or low sheen finish. Using the wrong roller will not give you a desirable finish.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your doors and trims painted.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric   

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
approachmhn
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Eric.

I will go with those brush & roller.

-Mohan 

approachmhn
Cultivating a Following

Hi @MitchellMc / @EricL,

I need help to decide on dulux aquanamel finish I.e. low gloss or semi gloss?

I had decided on semigloss and then I came across low gloss option. Appreciate your inputs.

is it ok to paint same finish on skirtings, architraves, windows & doors?

Regards,

Mohan

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @approachmhn

Low gloss is referred to as low sheen and is usually used on walls. Full gloss is used on skirting boards and doors. However, if you do not want it to be too shiny you can use semi-gloss. Please do not use a low sheen finish on your skirting boards and doors, as they get dirty if touched too often. 

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

approachmhn
Cultivating a Following

Hi Mitchell,

I did apply 2 coats of https://www.bunnings.com.au/search/products?q=Zinsser%20B-I-N%20Primer%20Sealer%20Stain%20Killer&sor... on drywall and I see no bleed of old red colour.

Can I directly apply Dulux natural white paint on top of Zinsser BIN or need to undercoat with dulux 1step primer before coating natural white paint?

I also read somewhere that we need to dewax shellac paints before applying water based paints but didn’t get much information anywhere.

Appreciate if you can please give more information on dewaxing and if it is needed for me?

Thanks,

Mohan

Thanks for the update @approachmhn. Just wanted to let you know that @MitchellMc will be back on the site tomorrow to assist you.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime,

Jason

@approachmhn,

You can go directly over the Zinsser product with Dulux water-based paint. There is no need for primer, and the B.I.N does not need to be de-waxed before applying a water-based or oil-based topcoat as, unlike traditional shellac-based primers, it does not contain any wax. Please allow one hour before coating with water-based paints and 24hours before oil-based.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

approachmhn
Cultivating a Following

Hi @MitchellMc,

Thanks for the update.

Was bit confused with all the contradictory information on internet.

As suggested, I did 2 coats of Zinsser BIN Wednesday 6 Oct on red wall and now I don’t see any bleed through. Looks good.

will go ahead paint natural white on this. 

regards,

Mohan

E43E3E07-2CEB-4313-8957-95AB19AD5159.jpeg

Mohan (@approachmhn),

I, too, read the misinformation on Google about the Zinsser B.I.N. I contacted Zinsser's technical assistance to double-check so that I would be giving you the correct information.

Looking great, keep us updated.

Mitchell

approachmhn
Cultivating a Following

Hi,

I did paint with dulux max adhesion primer on trims as suggested but it doesn’t block underlying old colour completely even after 2 coats.

also, I see paint drip marks 15-20 mins after painting dulux aquanamel on vertical window trims & paint brush marks. 

Any suggestion on getting rid of both issues above will help?

thanks.

6E05E07C-9B11-4E2D-B117-975E1F577F16.jpeg

F03E2274-82BB-45F9-ABCF-BC405D39051D.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects