Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Mains Power / Generator Power changeover switch enough to power a household?

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Mains Power / Generator Power changeover switch enough to power a household?

Hi team,

Is there an Electrician here who can tell me if this Mains Power / Generator Power changeover switch is big enough to power a household?

Total useable wattage would be approx. 14Kw..

Equipment to power would be..Aircon.7Kw...fridge..microwave..oven..griller..small appliances..

The changeover generator is a 9Kw. petrol generator..

The switch is a Hager SF263 Changeover Switch 2 Pole 63 Amp.240V. 50Hz. Din Mounted..

Changeover Switch.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Mains Power / Generator Power changeover switch enough to power a household?

Hi @Prof 

I totally forgot about the town water being full of chlorine. I suggest keeping the water in buckets and leaving them exposed to the sun for 24 hours and that should dramatically lower the chlorine content of the water. The longer you leave the bucket of water in the sun the less chlorine there will be. 

We look forward to your next update.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Prof
Becoming a Leader

Re: Mains Power / Generator Power changeover switch enough to power a household?

Yes you're right Eric..Who ever thinks that the roots in hydroponic systems are soaking in chlorine.!!

I did think about putting the water out in the sun, but I needed a quick solution to do a changeover of nutrients..

I did a quick search on Google and discovered something I couldn't believe.!!!  Vitamin C neutralizes Chlorine.!!! and very little of it as well..

I put 1/2 teaspoon of vitamin C in 50L. of water...No more Chlorine.!!! 😃 Unbelievable.!!!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects