Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Moving from cable internet to NBN

Joker
Having an Impact

Moving from cable internet to NBN

We've finally got NBN in our street and I'm thinking about signing up. I've had Telstra cable internet for over 10 years and am happy with it, although they just put the price up. :unhappy:

I understand that you don't get fibre to the house - I wish! Just wanted to know whether the new NBN connection uses the old copper telephone connection or the coax used by the Telstra cable? I'd prefer the latter...

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: Moving from cable internet to NBN

@Joker

Do you know what type of connection you are getting? Eg Hybrid Fibre Coaxial? 

Joker
Having an Impact

Yes, apparently HFC. I asked a ISP that put a flyer in our letterbox on live chat whether they would use the old cable coax or (shudder) the old telephone copper but they said it would be an entirely new connection. Which is great, exempt that I hear people don't always get their way in where the internal connection is located. (Often just put close to the outside box for the installers convenience rather than the users) But I've just read this page - https://www.nbnco.com.au/residential/learn/network-technology/hybrid-fibre-coaxial-explained-hfc-3 - which suggests they just use your old cable coax...

Just Starting Out

If you had cable before you will get cable(HFC). Most areas within 5 metros will get Fttp, fttn and Ftttc.
It is your house tells installers where you want, and what they only concerned about aerial cable if it allows them. If underground they would install close nearest point. Contractors get paid per job, and they want it as simpler as it can get for them.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing your experience @777. Great to have you as part of the Workshop community. We look forward to reading about your home improvement projects and plans. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand or have something to share.

Welcome,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Henno
Having an Impact

@Joker

My advice here is to wait before jumping on the NBN bandwagon. You have 18 months to make a decision on another provider before they cut off your phone.

I would hazard a guess that there will be other offers put on the table before that time runs out and if you're happy with your current speed, I would wait.

They've just laid the cable in my street and I'm expecting a flood of pamphlets in my letterbox very soon.

NBN isn't engendering any faith with their lack of service and speed at the moment, so until things settle down I would just carry on as per usual. Let them come to you and get yourself a better deal down the track. They need you, not the other way round...

dannyman48
Getting Established

hi 

don't use your old coax the they are not compatable YET, they are working on it at the moment.

still having lots of trouble with it , keeps droping out ( 5 or 6 times a day ).

danny

Hi guys, new development for me in regards to signing up to the NBN.
I did a lot of research with this over the course of about three months and finally decided to go with Home Wireless internet. The contract is month to month, but I had to pay upfront for a new modem. I did this with Optus, but had to do a lot of haggling to get the deal I wanted.
Speed is just as good as NBN and it costs less. I use Netflix, On Demand, iView and all those other data driven apps and after the first month I didn't come close to using my allocation (200Gb). You can get a 500Gb contract as well, but for me, and my family, 200Gb suits just fine. With month to month I can change at a whim.
Hope this info helps other people as I believe all telcos just about charge the same. Keep researching and make the decision that is best for you. So far, this is working for me and not one fault with buffering or dropouts.
Good luck with your choice! 👍

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects