Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need help selecting right stain and varnish for window trims

veruca_boi
Just Starting Out

Need help selecting right stain and varnish for window trims

Hey all,

Considering doing some DIY with refreshing the window trims, as the lacquer is starting to peel off a lot of them, but unsure which is the right one to select.  When I look up online, many sites I look at say to be sure I'm selecting it based on the timber type, but I'm not sure what type of timber it is.  Additionally, when I try the Colour Visualiser on Cabot's website, the colour doesn't come up the same as what we have, so I'm at a bit of a loss what to do, or how to select the right product.

If it helps, the house was built in 1988, so unsure what would be the go-to timber at that time for windows.

Can anyone help, or offer some advice?  Should we just take off some of the existing lacquer and take it in?  Additionally, how often should this be done (or how long does it usually last for)?20210509_142738.jpgThis one is relatively fine, so it will show how it is meant to lookThis one is relatively fine, so it will show how it is meant to look20210509_142326.jpg20210509_142321.jpg20210509_142312.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Need help selecting right stain and varnish for window trims

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @veruca_boi. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.

It's quite hard to colour-match a timber that has already received a varnish coating. I suspect it is likely a clearcoat with no stain present. Generally, the best approach would be to try a test section in an inconspicuous location to check the colour. Varnishes, even without a stain, give raw timber a honey-coloured hue. There is a good chance the timber is Meranti, but as you've found, it can come in a variety of different shades.

To get a fantastic finish, you'll need to sand those rough and discoloured areas with 240-grit sandpaper before coating. I'd suggest Cabot's Cabothane clear polyurethane varnish and a good quality brush for the application. Once re-coated, you should expect it to last between 10-15 years. Window sills that receive constant sunlight might require more frequent coatings. Varnishes can't be colour-matched as it is not a paint that contains pigments. However, you could take your pictures with you, and a helpful team member will provide some colour selection advice.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects