Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need to drain groundwater reemerging from dirt slope under the house

jbs1
Growing in Experience

Need to drain groundwater reemerging from dirt slope under the house

Hi all, I’ve got a dirt slope under the house that has groundwater coming out of it after rainfall, washing dirt and bits of rock down onto the concrete floor of the workshop. There are piers all over the place and the slope is uneven, making it hard to find an obvious path to divert the flow using ah pipe, and I don’t want to go digging because of the piers. Any thoughts or suggestions? Cheers! Jim

9F331471-088C-4A5B-840B-0CDF2A2DDCA3.jpeg

jbs1
Growing in Experience

Drainage over the top of a concrete slab

Hi All, seeking advice on how to drain mainly sub-surface water from a slope of rock and soil over a concrete slab. As you can see in the pictures, I've got a (under the house) workshop floor slab which gets flooded when it rains heavily; water rises up from next to the slab, and also comes down the slope and emerges where the dirt ends and the slab starts. 95% sub-surface, a little surface water if it's deluging.

I'm thinking of a french drain system (gravel, socked slotted ag-pipe) snaking down the slope to gather and direct the water, but am not sure how best to then divert the water over the slab, as I can't direct it either side. Do I build a small retaining wall on top of the slab with a hole for non-slotted ag-pipe to then run outside? Am I going to need a permanent 'sump pump' installed in a basin next to the slab which is fed by the french drain?

Pics attached from looking up the slope and down, showing where I'm planning on putting the french drain and where I've got to get the water out to.Planned french drains above, rectangle shows where water seeps down / rises up onto the slab.Planned french drains above, rectangle shows where water seeps down / rises up onto the slab.From the other direction; where I need to direct the water.From the other direction; where I need to direct the water.

Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully appreciated!

Cheers,

Jim

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Drainage over the top of a concrete slab

Hi @jbs1,

I see you've had some work done, but are still dealing with the same drainage issue.

I think you are certainly on the right track. I'd simplify your drainage design slightly and have just one collection point for the whole slope. I believe only one deep French drain constructed correctly will be enough. It can be directed to a stormwater pit that contains a sump pump. The pump can send water out via a 32mm pipe attached to the wall with pipe saddles.

Dig a trench between the slope and the slab to be slightly deeper than the slab. Paint the side of the slab with waterproofer and lay drainage matting on the soil side to stop sediment from entering the system. The matting can be extended up the slope and pegged into it. This should assist with preventing soil erosion from the surface runoff. Personally, I'd be inclined to install a small one sleeper high retaining wall using 0 x 50 x 3mm 0.65m H Joiner Post Galvanised Steel Sleeper Uprights just to future proof the system. Optimally I'd suggest building the retaining wall right next to the slab and having the drainage behind it. Much neater and likely more function that way. 

The water will hit the edge of the slab and fall through aggregate into an ag-pipe. The ag-pipe needs to be graded towards the pit. 

The only way I can see you doing away with the pit and sump pump is if you cut a trench into the slab with an angle grinder and a diamond blade. In order to establish fall, the trench will need to be quite deep and involve a substantial amount of work.

I've spent some time creating a rendering of my proposed solution for you. I hope it assists you in your project.

There's been some great advice in this discussion already and I'm sure we are all keen to see you solve this issue.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

D2.png

D3.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jbs1
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell, that's great - really appreciate you taking the time to put together those images, that's really helpful. Cheers!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

No problems, @jbs1.

Now that you've made some changes let me mention @TedBear to see if he has any other thoughts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the tag @MitchellMc .  I am very impressed with your design and images... I can't think of anything to add to that!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects