Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Nooski mouse trap fires spontaneously

Concrete1
Just Starting Out

Nooski mouse trap fires spontaneously

I bought a Nooski mouse trap, read the instructions and watched several videos...it has a hair trigger and fires off spontaneously - any suggestions.

many thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Nooski mouse trap

Hello @Concrete1,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for sharing your concerns with the Nooski Mouse Trap. I'm sorry to hear the mouse trap is not working properly.

Having seen the video of the mouse trap being set, I noticed that the only thing holding the trigger is a little plastic locking clip at the top of the trap. I suspect that if this clip is damaged or is badly made in any way during production, the mouse trap would self activate. Another possibility could be the locking clip, if covered in wax or oil it would cause the trigger to slip and fire.

You could try to wash the locking clip with soap and water to remove any oils or fluids on it. However if that doesn't work and you suspect the locking clip is the point of failure, may I suggest bringing the defective unit back to the store for an exchange. 

I hope your next mouse trap will be less troublesome. If there's anything else we can help with please don't hesitate to post it here on Workshop.

Cheers,

EricL

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JDE
Becoming a Leader

Re: Nooski mouse trap fires spontaneously

When loading them I often find I need to hold the trigger mechanism joint together just as you roll the band the last turn at the end. Sometimes if you have the cone facing the wrong way or you are struggling with rolling the band  the trigger slips a bit. Holding it firm may help. They really are the best single trap I've found.

JDE

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Nooski mouse trap fires spontaneously

Hello @JDE

Many thanks for sharing your knowledge about the Nooski Mouse Trap. It's always a pleasure to read about real world experiences.

@Concrete1,

I definitely recommend giving JDE's loading process a try. Just to recap the steps:

• Once the rubber ring is loaded and is near the loading slot at the end, make sure to have your finger firmly holding the trigger mechanism.

• When the ring is loaded, double check that the trigger mechanism is firmly in place and has not slightly slipped.

• Double check your loading and carefully re-assemble the trap and observe for the evening.

If you have been successful, then the trap will stay active and you should get a positive catch and not a misfire.

I hope this recommendation helps and thank you so much again to @JDE for sharing his insight on this particular issue. If there is anything else we can help you with please don't hesitate to post it here on Workshop. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects