Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Notch trowel size for laying floor tiles?

Sam-Sam
Getting Established

Notch trowel size for laying floor tiles?

Hello Everyone,

Hope you are doing well. Could you help me on below query?

What is the correct size of notch trowel for laying porcelain floor tiles 600mm *600mm * 9.5 mm in size?

Is 8 mm OK or 10 mm OK?

Tiles being used are available at below link - 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/bellazza-60-x-60cm-creama-floor-tile-porcelain-carton-of-3_p0087517 

Thanks 

Sam

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Notch trowel size for laying floor tiles?

Hello @Sam-Sam

Thank you for sharing that question about trowel size.

A common tiling practice is to place the tile into the notch of the trowel. If the tile is thicker than the notch then you must use the next size up. I suggest using the 10mm notched trowel so that the adhesive spread will be sufficient to hold the tile. Using a smaller notched trowel will not give you enough adhesive to hold the tile in place.

I recommend the QEP 10mm Square Notch Handyman Adhesive Trowel. It has an excellent formed handle for better control.

Let me call on our experienced member @JDE for further advice.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to lay floor tiles

We look forward to seeing the start of your project. If you need more information please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Sam-Sam
Getting Established

Thanks Eric. Appreciate your reply and providing the below details.

Could you please also assist in suggesting the correct Grout type for 600*600*9.5mm piece tiles. I am using 1.5mm spacers. 

I bought the one attached in pic but it is shown for wide joints. Is this OK for grouting 1.5 mm space between porcelain floor tiles?

Thanks again for your advice.

72DF248C-4290-4DF0-82BC-19D0B3D9564D.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Sam-Sam

The proudct you have shown is for wide joint grout, it is not suitable for the gap you have mentioned. I suggest using the Dunlop 5kg Flexible Coloured Grout - Slate Grey. This grout is rated for use on gaps between one and eight millimetres. It is safe to use in both indoor and outdoor applications. This grout comes in many colours and some of them come in larger bags.

If you need more information please let us know. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Sam-Sam
Getting Established

Thanks Eric.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects