Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Painting prep - seeking advice on British Paints product

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Painting prep - seeking advice on British Paints product

Hi all, I'm planning my move-in works for the new house and whilst I'm dreading painting (particularly the prep work - sealing, sanding, etc) it's got to be done!

So you'll understand why my eyes lit up when I came across this British Paints 4-in-1 product on the Bunnings website. It sounds too good to be true...no sanding needed!

Has anyone used this product? Any feedback? If it really is this good, why aren't professional painters using this product and saving the sanding effort? I know it's twice the price, but time is money and I can certainly justify the extra cost - maybe not for a single room job, but absolutely for a whole house.

I'll be painting with a high quality Dulux product.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Re: Painting prep - seeking advice on British Paints product

That is a great prep paint, for a water based paint I had a hell of a time trying to wash it off my hands...LOL stuck like glue

excellent bonding properties

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Forgive what is potentially a stupid question @ProjectPete, but why would you sand new plasterboard anyway? I thought you'd just need to undercoat and then you're away with the top coats?

Hi @MartyH it's not plasterboard - fresh plaster walls which is why I need the prep coat of primer/sealer/undercoat.

----------
Handy and helpful

Turns out, this is not designed for hard set plaster walls so it's not an option. Apparently no avoiding the oil based primer/binder and the dreaded sanding :unhappy:

But apparently a great product for other surfaces like plasterboard, render, etc

Thanks peeps!
----------
Handy and helpful

When it comes to painting I'm a bit old school. Gotta put the drop cloth and tape up the windows. Then sand to perfection. However I've come to embrace the water based products of Dulux. I love the short drying time and I can finish my work in a day. I repainted my bathroom ceiling and waiting for the plaster to dry was longer than the actual painting process. As long as it says interior/exterior primer and sealer it should work well.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects