Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Painting trims advice - what materials to use?

gpsingh100
Just Starting Out

Painting trims advice - what materials to use?

Hi Team,

I am really after your advice to buy the right product for my painting job...refer to attached pictures

Question 1) I need to varnish and stain skirting and door frames which are of Oak wood and need to know what products (paint, brush, roller, gap fillers color etc I need to buy to complete it. Pls provide product link with the item number. Can I use Ozito 400 watts spray gun (I/N: 1661264) for this job ?  

Question 2) Suggest oil based

Paint 3.jpgPaint 1.jpgPaint 2.jpgwhite paint for my internal doors and if same paint can be used for eaves ? Can I use spray gun  for this job ?

Much Appreciated.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painting trims advice

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @gpsingh100. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question. 

I'd recommend using a quality product like Cabot's Cabothane for re-varnishing the trims.

If you're after an oil-based paint, then I would suggest Dulux super enamel. Alternatively, we do have the Aquanamel range, which is an equivalent water-based product. The key to success with either of these paints is to use a quality stain-blocking undercoat.

You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How To Paint Over Varnished Timber. 

You can use a spray gun for this job, and it will make quick work of it. You will need to make sure that you prep by taping off and covering all the surrounding surfaces with plastic drop sheets.

You'll need a different paint for your eaves, and I would suggest Dulux Weathershield.

Please let us know if you need further assistance or have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects