Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Pallet timber indoor planter

taha
Finding My Feet

Pallet timber indoor planter

ert.jpg

how do i proceed from here? 

should i paint it?

which paint should i use? 

any tips or suggestions to  make it interesting and long lasting

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Pallet timber indoor planter

Hi @taha,

Personally, I'd keep the natural timber look and use either a varnishoil or distress them with a semi-transparent paint. It really comes down to personal preference but one of the unique qualities of pallet wood is the rustic timber look. If you wanted to paint them I would suggest using a water-based enamel such as Dulux Aquanamel.

I'm a big fan of distressing timber like this and you'll find some great techniques you can use in this step-by-step article: D.I.Y. Decorative Vintage Ladder. I've included below a picture of some pallet projects where I have used Dulux chalk effect paint and Rust-oleum chalked then sanded back through them to create a shabby chic look. I also use a homemade distressing tool to age the timber creating wear and tear.

I'd encourage you to have fun with it, try some different techniques and see where you end up. You can always sand it back off if you don't like the result. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Please let me know if you need further information or have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects