Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Photos transferred to wood

LePallet
Amassing an Audience

Photos transferred to wood

Frame.png

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Photos transferred to wood

Hi @Krish,

Let me tag @LePallet for you so he is alerted to your post. I'm sure Rylie would be happy to help. However, you might just want to clarify first what you mean by "lots of pieces missing"?

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. Many thanks for joining us. I trust you will receive lots of help and inspiration for your projects from our clever and creative community. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand or have something new to share.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
LePallet
Amassing an Audience

@Krish that does sound unusual to me as that’s never happened. I have always followed the right instructions and worked every time.

i can’t use the printer I have at home Which is an ink jet so I go to my local printing store and get them to print my photo on regular paper which cost like 30c. They use laser printer.

so did you print from an inkjet printer, photo looks fine, you put the paste on, let it dry and the next day when you have gone to peel the paper away it didn’t work ?

LePallet
Amassing an Audience

@Krish if you head over to my Facebook or Instagram page I have recently put up a video on how I do the transfer 

i hope this helps and please do share the finished product 

Bundaboy
Having an Impact

That's brilliant! Can you point me to more information as to how it is done?

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

@Bundaboy ,

here is a link that explains a couple of different ways

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=397&v=xHOWUR8vTvo

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Bundaboy 

Not sure if you missed it, but @LePallet shared some how-to directions in the first reply to his post. I'm sure he would also be happy to answer any questions you might have if any of the steps are unclear. Just let us know.

Jason

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

I am wondering if the problem is that inkjets use water-soluble ink, so the ink may be washing away in some sections.

Although what LePallet  is doing is far more artistic and impressive, I have used a similar technique to create & repair printed labels for electronic equipment (eg Bass, Treble, Volume.. that sort of thing).  I was able to use an inkjet there, if careful in the removal stage, because the paper with printed image down (wording, not reversed) was stuck directly to sticky backed, clear-film sheets ( as you might use for permanently protecting exercise books), with the backing sheet removed.

The paper as was then carefully washed/pushed away using the same technique described by LePallet.  The glue would hold the ink in place and the clear film could then be applied to the equipment front or back, where the labeling was needed.  But the results are more industrial and not as exciting as what LePallet is doing here.   (I mention it in case anyone needs to create or replace a label.)

Errol1951
Growing in Experience

I  have an interest in doing this and have also heard about just using a bubble jet you use a clear acetate sheet scuffed using the finest wet and dry then smeared with a light oil and then print it with your ordinary inkjet and then using your coating of mod podge and applying the photo on to the glue and then carefully removing the clear acetate and because of the fine layer of oil the ink does not stick to the acetate but it then sticks to your glue. Haven't tried it yet but have seen some good work done using this technique

Errol 

Great to see you join in the discussion and make your first post about being a member for so long @Errol1951! Looking forward to reading more about your own projects and plans. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. And please let me know if you ever need assistance getting the most from the site.

Jason

bluemoonskye
Building a Reputation

@TedBear do you have any photos of your labels. Sounds very interesting 😊

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects