Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Polycarbonate Aquarium Lid Help

sophie_fernie
Getting Established

Polycarbonate Aquarium Lid Help

15793405670995725352080931457711.jpg

Hi there! 

So I've been trying to make a new lid for my aquarium however it's conflicting with the already complex aquarium design. I cannot seem to find a hinge small enough to use in the spot unless I really look around online, so i was wondering if anyone had some ideas as to how I can attach the lid and have it open. There are small holes on either side which I believe were the hinge spots for the original lid or something. Very new to this if you can't tell. The pictures should hopefully explain what I mean.

Looking for any advice.

Thanks! 

15793403264801534272368389963168.jpg

15793403657855388818871101133793.jpg

  

15793403937176058192547624901611.jpg

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

Re: Polycarbonate Aquarium Lid Help

@sophie_fernie Welcome to the Workshop community! I'm sure other helpful Community members will be in shortly to assist.

If I am interpreting your pictures correctly, it appears the poly sits on the sides of the tank where the lip is.

You then are hoping to find tiny little hinges to mount on those slightly wider tabs.

I would also presume you wish the lid to lift at the front of the tank and lean back.

If this is correct I'll draw a small diagram, with my suggestion.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Yes, that all seems correct. A diagram and your suggestion would be absolutely great! 

Thanks!

@sophie_fernie  By trying to attach tiny little hinges at the side, you might run into some issues. Firstly the Poly Carbonate may crack because you are very close to the corner there, you'll also find it hard to get hinges in that size (as you described) and the poly will most likely (if it is not supported in the middle) 'droop' after several months.

What I would do, is utilise the two tabs and span some timber across it.

Head into your local Bunnings or hardware store and purchase a peice of timber similar to this tasmanian Oak . Take a measurement with you of the distance across the span at the rear, have the team member cut it to length for you.

If you pre-drill those tabs on the side, you will be able to screw the timber across the rear. This may not be necessary, but will secure the lid to the tank.

After you have installed the piece of timber (marked in dark Green) you will be free to choose from a variety of larger hinges which you can mount across the rear.

I feel this is the method you will have the best results with, as it adds regidity to the thin poly carbonate and gets the holes further away from the corners.

You can paint the timber/hinges black to blend in if you wish also, obviously do that before installing as you wouldn't want paint in the water.

This is just my suggestion, others may contribute with their own. Hope this sets you off in the right direction!fishtank.png

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

That idea is actually perfect! I think I will do that. Thanks a bunch for that!

@sophie_fernie no worries at all! Would be great for others with a similar issue, if you could post a pic when you are done.

In regards to your original idea, I checked our range here (small format Bunnings), this is all I could come up with. Either of the hinges don't seem like a great option though.

IMG_20200119_123842309.jpg

IMG_20200119_124845774.jpg

IMG_20200119_123924239.jpg

IMG_20200119_124046368.jpg

    

Yeah, I will do that. Thanks for the references, I'll have a look in our local Bunnings for something similar.

We are looking forward to seeing how it comes together @sophie_fernie. Please keep in touch and share some photos along the way. And do feel free to post anytime you need a hand. 

Welcome to Workshop. We're really pleased to have you join the community. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@sophie_fernie Any update on your lid? Were you able to fix it somehow?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects