Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Re-surfacing a brick floor

Paulene
Growing in Experience

Re-surfacing a brick floor

35 years ago we built a mud-brick house with a brick paver floor.
We sealed the floor with Walkers Brick sealer (satin). The product no longer exists and the floor needs resurfacing as the coating has gone 'milky' in places and worn off in others.
The floor is throughout the whole house so the idea of stripping it with a solvent stripper is not very appealing. 
Have you got any advice on what I can do?

TIA 
PauleneBrick floor 1.jpgBrick floor 2.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Re-surfacing a brick floor

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Paulene. It's sensational that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question about sealing brick floors.

I understand from speaking with several of our suppliers that the deteriorated coating would need to be stripped entirely off before their products are applied. Apart from chemical stripping, the only other way I can think of would be by sanding the coating off. However, that's likely going to miss all the sealer in the low spots between bricks.

If you could work out the base of the product you used, you could re-coat it with a similar product. Any coating you apply over the deteriorated coating will only be as durable as the layer beneath and could peel off.

Let me mention @TedBear to see if he has any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Paulene
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell 

Thanks for getting back to me on this.

I've been trying to find information about the Walkers Brick sealer but as yet nothing.

I presume it was not water based 35 years ago. 

I hope someone has some idea how I would/ could strip an entire 3 br house. 😫

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Would you consider installing a floating floor over the top instead @Paulene?

Jason

Paulene
Growing in Experience

Thanks Jason.

I hadn't considered that as I love my brick floor. Just want to restore it to its former glory.

Do you know anything about cleaning it with ammonia and applying floor wax?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Paulene

It looks like the brick was painted first and then the sealer was placed on top. But you can see from the photos where the wear and tear have occurred. These are the areas where people have walked on and where appliances have been dragged on the floor. Painting the floor now would make the damaged areas stand out. Re-sealing it as is would give you a nice new polish and that new retro used look. However, the colour would stay the same.

I suggest a little bit of experimentation in cleaning. You could try Long Life 1L Cloudy Ammonia in a small out of the way area and see if it cleans the bricks. When the area has dried off use Gilly’s 200g Clear Floor Polish and see if it brings the finish back. Use a shoe brush to buff the wax. If the cleaning results are not satisfactory, your choices are either to strip the floor and start from the beginning. Cover the area with a new floor or engage the services of a professional.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

Paulene
Growing in Experience

Thanks for this info, Eric.
The floor wasn't painted, the bricks are Nubrick Victoria Blue pavers a and they were sealed with Walkers brick sealer. 
Yes, they're worn for sure but also in places the sealant has discolored I think perhaps due to moisture getting underneath,
I will try out your suggestion as it sounds preferable to any of the other options. 
Thanks again
Paulene

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects