Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Recommendations wanted for replacing door knobs

LivMitch
Cultivating a Following

Recommendations wanted for replacing door knobs

Hello there,

Question 1

I would be very grateful if you could suggest specific products that would suit these exact specifications.

I'm do not have the tools/money/skills to repair holes if door knobs don't fit (or to replace a whole door). 

• B/w $20-$40 each
  • Door width:  35mm
  • Round base plate height: 63mm (hard to measure with handle in the middle...)
  • Striker plate width: 23mm
  • Striker plate height: 53-54mm
    • prefer brush satin chrome or brush nickel or stainless steel
    • Which finish offers better hand-oils-resistance?

Question 2 

I will purchase a new front door (including installation) from Bunnings. 

• Can you use the existing deadlock? 
  • Can you suggest a no-frills timber replacement door?  
    • H 204 mm x W 86mm x D 43mm

Many thanks for your help,

Liv :smile:

20230618_door width.jpg20230618_knob plate height.jpg20230618_striker height.jpg20230618_striker width.jpgLiv 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Door Knobs

Hi @LivMitch,

It should be expected that some alteration to the cutouts might need to be done when replacing a door handle set. There are no universal standards for striker plate or latch mechanism dimensions, so I can't recommend something that's going to fit exactly. I would suggest you're best bet would be to take the handles, latch mechanism and striker plate into your local Bunnings store, and a helpful team member will do their best to match it up to the closest product.

Is the mechanism faulty at all? If not, and you're happy with the handle style, you could coat them with a metallic metal spray paint. This could save you the hassle of changing the handle set whilst achieving the desired styling change.

I see no reason why your existing deadlock won't fit on the new door. Unfortunately, 860mm isn't a standard door width, and you'd either need to have something custom-made or modify a Hume External Door Duracote Flush X1 2040 x 870 x 40mm by removing 5mm off either side. Once again, 40mm is the standard thickness, but I can't imagine 3mm thinner will make much of a difference.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
LivMitch
Cultivating a Following

Hi Mitchell,

OK thank you, I'll take a door knob to Bunnings tonight.

Question:  What product would I use to fill 4 small holes left by screws in my wooden front door?  Is Selleys No More Gaps silicone OK? 

Given your advice, I'll repair the front door instead, I think, sand and paint. 

Thank you Mitchell,

Liv

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @LivMitch 

If you are repainting the door, I suggest using Earl's 0.140kg White MulTfill Ready To Use Filler to fill the screw holes. It dries hard and can be sanded down, plus it is rated for outdoor use.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

LivMitch
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Eric, you've saved me from 45 mins of shelf gazing! 

Liv 

LivMitch
Cultivating a Following

Hi Eric,

When is the time, when painting doors, to begin removing/repairing door-knob gaps?

• fill gaps before I paint the doors (but it might be hard to get the door knobs out-and-in again once I've filled gaps)
  • fill gaps after I paint the doors (then I'll have to do awkard touch-ups once the door knobs are in)

I hope that makes sense. I'm unsure of the best sequence of steps ... 

Liv  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @LivMitch,

It's always best to do your repair work first, if possible, and then paint the whole door at the same time. Anytime you do touch-ups, there is a chance that they'll be noticeable, even if you're using the same paint.

If you can't paint the repair work first, it's not the end of the world. You'll likely get reasonable results as long as you undercoat the filled areas before you paint them.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects