Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Replace fly screen frame

Darth_Morgan
Just Starting Out

Replace fly screen frame

I've just discovered the metal frame of the fly screen in the attached pic has broken and will need to be replaced. Do I simply buy a replacement from Bunnings? 

I'll obviously be able to easily remove the broken frame, but how do I get a new one in? Will I need to unscrew something or hire someone?

20201211_153638.jpg

20201211_153644.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Replace fly screen frame

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Darth_Morgan. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

To construct a whole new frame you'll need to purchase screenspline, framecorners, mitre box, hack saw and a spline roller. To build the frame, you'll need to take the measurement from the existing frame and transfer them to the new frame channel. Once you have measured the lengths, use a mitre box to cut a 45-degree angle into the lengths and insert the corners. You should then find this step-by-step guide useful: How to replace flyscreen by @Tara86.

I believe the screen will move in one direction allowing the other side to pull out of the window frame. It will either push up, and the bottom edge will pull out, or it might shift to the left or right.

Please let me know if you need further help or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects