Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Replacing existing LED downlight

ron3alex
Cultivating a Following

Replacing existing LED downlight

94054953-0BEE-4E45-B36F-2D2755F778BE.jpeg

FCE75180-89A6-48BA-8DCC-F478D6A879EB.jpeg

F29F6A4C-47B1-4AEC-9739-F791900FEC8A.jpeg

2D05D29A-D2EA-49AE-9013-5B3CCCC84A0C.jpeg

2CB11395-BBFE-45E8-B577-B424FD8114F5.jpeg

F2AA0C26-5F6A-41E0-BC06-960BAB3B0910.jpeg

      

Hi Everyone,

I currently have Led dimmable light in warm white which is very dull when switched on.

I was planning to buy led light with cool light and replace myself.

I need your advice for the below:

1) do I need to engage an electrician to do this or can I do it by myself?

2) attaché pictures will show the current led light. Can you advice which one should I buy?

3) do I buy just the light or should I buy the led driver too?

thanks heaps for all your help

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Replacing existing LED DOWNLIGHT

Hi @ron3alex,

Can you tell if the light is not functioning to full capacity, as it's faulty, or is the 13 Watts of output just not enough light for the area? I ask because 13 Watt LED downlights are the most powerful we have in our range. Switching from warm white to cool white will be a different colour of light, which might appear slightly brighter, but they both have the same output strength.

If the light isn't faulty, then this might be a case of you needing more of them for the space. If these are in the ceiling of a room, could you please tell me the size of the room and how many downlights are present? I'll then be able to advise if more units are required.

If the unit is fitted with a lead and cord as yours is, then you can complete the work yourself. Here's a DETA X8 Series 13W IP44 Flush Lens Tri-Colour LED Downlight suitable for a 110-120mm cutout. It also comes with the driver.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ron3alex
Cultivating a Following

Hi Mitchell,

thank you for your response.

the lights are in working condition - it’s just that we feel the light color is bit dull to the living area.

can I just change the light and connect to the adapter or do I change the whole lot?

thank you 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That makes sense, @ron3alex. Warm white can make a room look a little dull. 

The DETA X8 Series 13W IP44 Flush Lens Tri-Colour LED Downlight has three colour settings and is adjustable from warm white through to daylight. If you are looking to change the light yourself, you'll likely be best purchasing a unit such as this that has all the cords connected. You could attempt to only buy the light, but you'll need to find a transformer that has the same plug-in connection. Our LED transformers do not seem to have that same style plug-in connector, which means you'd need to wire them in. Although still dealing with 12v, you are moving into the world of where an electrician should be consulted.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @ron3alex

I have replaced my downlights recently with these circled LED downlights, they have and adjustment switch on the back of them, select  one of three positions, 3000K, 4000K, 6500K. which lets you select the brightness of the light, they are just a plug in type , now wiring required. I used the 240volt ( no transformer required) 70mm cut out ones, available from Bunnings

JoeAzza_0-1628983495364.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects