Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Replacing/fixing damaged front door frame

Ben
Making a Splash

Replacing/fixing damaged front door frame

Our front door slammed closed in the wind one day recently, with the latch extended it smashed into the timber surrounding the strike, and made a real mess of it. Tried the patch job approach with some timbermate, but as the damage is right on the corner, and in a very fiddly spot (i.e. you need to work the timbermate around the strike also) it's not quite as tidy as I'd like.

We're also about to sell, and want to make the best first impression when potential buyers walk through the door.

Any advice would be welcomed.

The damage:

door-1.jpg

The patch job:

door-2.jpg

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: Replacing/fixing damaged front door frame

Any chance you can paint the door and door frame @Ben? I have used Timbermate before and when you sand it back it can create a really smooth, glass-like surface. Once painted you wouldn't be able to tell there was damage. Otherwise I fear you need carpentry skills to replace the timber. 

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Re: Replacing/fixing damaged front door frame

@Ben, from the photo, you look to've done a good job.

To tidy it up, remove the strike plate, wrap some coarsish (80 grit) sandpaper around a piece of scrap wood that's longer than the damaged section. Sand down the high spots so that they're level with the undamaged door frame. If you're left with some low spots, patch fill them with the Timbermate, let it set, & resand as before until you're satisfied with the finish.

As @Kermit said, once it's painted, it'll look brand new.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects