Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Replacing steps on stairs

nicole72
Growing in Experience

Replacing steps on stairs

I need to replace the steps on a staircase going upstairs, which are fully enclosed, as the steps are way to narrow that i keep tripping each time i have walked up the stairs (i am purchasing the place and each time i go to inspect the place), and i only have a tiny foot. Is this a massive job to have done by a builder and does the whole structure of the stairs have to be replaced. Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Replacing steps on stairs

Hi @nicole72,

There are certain regulations in Australia that govern the width of stair treads so it is unusual to see this issue. Generally, the minimum for a stair tread is 215mm deep.

Whether this is a massive job or not depends on a few different things. I believe we'd need photos or some additional details on the stairs construction to be able to form some solutions. In any scenario, it is most likely a job which will require some significant work. I doubt the whole structure would need to be replaced but in order to comply with the Building Code of Australia, there would need to be significant modification to its layout.

I would suggest some quotes from builders to get a better understanding of what would need to be done to increase the stair tread width. They would certainly be able to advise if it was as simple as replacing the stair treads.

Please let me know if you need further information or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
nicole72
Growing in Experience

Re: Replacing steps on stairs

Thank you so much Mitchell I will be taking photos this afternoon so I will upload them. I have spoken to a builder which he has requested photos and measurements. Thanks again Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects